E N Welch striking problem

Bill Willey

Aug 14, 2020
Has only 3wheels on strike side. I have disassembled, lubricated, etc. Runs well but strikes about 10 minutes early. I hope you can see position of stop lever in cam. Where should it be when locked? Btw I am getting used to new iPad so. Pardon my brief message. Thanks.

Attachments

Bill Willey

Aug 14, 2020
Has only 3wheels on strike side. I have disassembled, lubricated, etc. Runs well but strikes about 10 minutes early. I hope you can see position of stop lever in cam. Where should it be when locked? Btw I am getting used to new iPad so. Pardon my brief message. Thanks.
By the way I can happily provide other photos or videos.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
I can’t open the video. Yes, some still pictures should help.

RC
Your warn is not working at all in the video. The reason it is 10 minutes early is that the warn is engaging there but the stop pin is not being stopped and released at the hour.

bkerr

Nov 29, 2007
Canal Fulton,OH
Country
Region
The lever is not moving at all. Hence no warning. Look closer at the J hook that trips from the center shaft. Before it falls the lever should make contact with the pin on the 3rd wheel. I assume it is there.

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Got the video to open and captured this image. The lever bkerr referred to is not raising and there is no warning because the strike was apparently started for the video by lifting the count blade and not by advancing the minute hand so there will be no warning run and none expected. The lever in question is raised by the "J" hook and must arrest the wire at the red arrow to hold back the train during the warning run. The ones I have seen, that lever is straighter. At any rate it needs to be bent so as to arrest the wire on the fan arbor for it to work.

RC

welch-lever.jpg

Another similar movement showing the levers
welch-lever-2.jpg

Last edited:

Bill Willey

Aug 14, 2020
Got the video to open and captured this image. The lever bkerr referred to is not raising and there is no warning because the strike was apparently started for the video by lifting the count blade and not by advancing the minute hand so there will be no warning run and none expected. The lever in question is raised by the "J" hook and must arrest the wire at the red arrow to hold back the train during the warning run. The ones I have seen, that lever is straighter. At any rate it needs to be bent so as to arrest the wire on the fan arbor for it to work.

RC

View attachment 715044

View attachment 715046
Thank you Mr. Croswell. I have been unable to get to the clock for a day or so. Anxious to get back to it and use your photo and comment. Yes, I did lift the count lever for that video. I goofed. My naivete.

Bill Willey

Aug 14, 2020
Mr. Croswell: I hope the attached video is clearer and shows exactly what is happening. It looks to me as if the wire rises properly and touches the small wire that is attached to the fan shaft. This is the warning point, I assume. Then that wire releases and the strike begins. Seems all if running properly. I did nothing to the movement since our communication here on Forum. So I think I am back to the original question or issue. The warning and strike is happing about 10 minutes before the hour. Thanks, Bill Willey

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Mr. Croswell: I hope the attached video is clearer and shows exactly what is happening. It looks to me as if the wire rises properly and touches the small wire that is attached to the fan shaft. This is the warning point, I assume. Then that wire releases and the strike begins. Seems all if running properly. I did nothing to the movement since our communication here on Forum. So I think I am back to the original question or issue. The warning and strike is happing about 10 minutes before the hour. Thanks, Bill Willey
It isn't really important how soon before the hour it goes into warning as long as it does and the little wire at the fan holds it back until the top of the hour. 5 minutes before would be more typical. You should be able to see what is causing the stop lever to release this soon and back off a bit, but if you do, you will likely need to readjust the warning lever. There is a lot of interaction between these parts.

RC

Bill Willey

Aug 14, 2020

RC

View attachment 715044

View attachment 715046
Attached is a video that does a better job of showing my movement in action. The wire does rise up and touch/hold the small wire on the fan shaft, and then the strike begins shortly after. But this action is taking place too early, about 10 minutes early. I really appreciate your attention to this issue of mine. (I forgot to attach the video in my earlier reply, this this second post.
Bill, there is no attached video.
It isn't really important how soon before the hour it goes into warning as long as it does and the little wire at the fan holds it back until the top of the hour. 5 minutes before would be more typical. You should be able to see what is causing the stop lever to release this soon and back off a bit, but if you do, you will likely need to readjust the warning lever. There is a lot of interaction between these parts.

RC
I believe the problem is solved. Clock on test stand now to run a few days. Problem was with the lever contacting the j-hook. Slightly bending that hook seemed to work. Warning is still at about 10 of the hour, but strike is taking place when minute hand is at 12:00. Thanks to you R. Crosswell and wow for you helpful suggestions. What I learned was to watch the action of all these levers closely and just stumble through and figure out what the problem was. This was my first time to work on this type of movement. Bill Willey

Attachments

Reactions: wow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeteABC123
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-