• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

E.N. Welch Rarus Model

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
Rarus.jpg
I just obtained this clock over the weekend. I am hoping someone can tell me roughly what year it was manufactured.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

A search of less than a minute on the internet showed several indications that this clock was made around 1890.

Others may know more exactly.

JTD

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
Thanks for the welcome!
Also thanks for the effort.
I have already done the same research, (many minutes) and was only able to find a sale listing that stated the same. I don't trust the "CA" date put on listings, as they can be wildly inaccurate. I have a clock that I found literature stating the movement was made 1850-1852. I've seen the same clock listed as "CA 1840". I'm hoping someone has a model listing in old literature that's more reputable.
Thanks again
Mike

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
Is your clock anything like this o ne from Tran's Welch book (2d ed.)?

View attachment 678513
The tablet is different, but that's the one.
I can see now I should have posted a pic of the clock, not just the model tag.
I have to wonder why it's not tagged a Trotters?

Thank you so much for the info Steven!
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Rarus was, in fact, the name of a Trotter.

Reactions: Mike Mall

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
My tablet doesn't have horses on it, more about cherubs. Does this mean the glass isn't original?
Tran's Welch book shows what appears to be the same glass on the 1884 catalogue illustration of a clock called the Pepita. So, unless there are obvious signs that the glass is a replacement, I wouldn't worry about it. Possibly the clock was offered by itself before or after becoming part of the Trotters series. And, I suppose the series might have reflected the name of the clock rather than the actual glass, though the Trotter glass does have some appeal.

Reactions: Mike Mall

Mike Mall

Oct 27, 2021
Country
Tran's Welch book shows what appears to be the same glass on the 1884 catalogue illustration of a clock called the Pepita. So, unless there are obvious signs that the glass is a replacement, I wouldn't worry about it. Possibly the clock was offered by itself before or after becoming part of the Trotters series. And, I suppose the series might have reflected the name of the clock rather than the actual glass, though the Trotter glass does have some appeal.
Thanks again Steven for some more good information.
The glass doesn't show any signs of replacement. I'll assume it's unique!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heresolong
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-