E Ingraham & Company - Argand Cottage Clock

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Robert Ryan, Jun 13, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Ryan

Robert Ryan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    This one appeared to me at my favorite barn full an antiques. The case is in fine condition and the movement is strong. The strike was out of adjustment...but that was about it... other than the usual cleaning.

Really like the scene on the tablet....anyway...a new member of the family.
    IMG_3019.jpeg IMG_3018.jpeg IMG_3011.jpeg IMG_3020.jpeg IMG_3006.jpeg

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    It seems to be a very nice example of the Argand. "E. Ingraham & Co." on the movement and the label would date it pre-1884, when the company name changed to "The E Ingraham Co." (no ampersand). Does the label have the definite article before "E. Ingraham & Co."? I am assuming not. If it did, that would narrow down the date range to 1880-84. Otherwise, a range of 1861 to 1880 (movements carried no definite article).

Ingraham did not produce many "conventional" cottage clocks; the Argand may be considered one. Joyce Wahler, one of the premiere horological scholars, in a July/August 2012 NAWCC Bulletin article expressed the opinion that "the miniature Venetian was the E. Ingraham & Co. answer to the "cottage clocks" that were so popular at this time." For a miniature Venetian, see this post: Ingraham Clocks

I also have an Argand with a similar scene on the glass, but otherwise not so nice as yours. I also have a couple of Ingraham Dorics with such glasses, as well. A chromolithograph(?). Some one correct me on that point. In any event, the glass is very attractive.

3. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    #3 Robert Ryan, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
    Here is a pic of the label....does this answer your question? I am very pleased with the condition of the case and movement. Not much wear and it doesn't seem as though it's been tinkered with much at all. BTW it does appear to be all original...the dial is cardboard...is that original also?

Perhaps I need to remove the alarm movement to see the entire label....

IMG_3022.jpeg

4. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Here is the entire label:

IMG_3023.jpeg

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    The name "E. Ingraham & Co." would put it in the 1860-1880 range. I also see that the label mentions an Oct. 8, 1878, patent. There was a companion patent of Nov. 11, 1879. After that patent was granted, Ingraham began stamping them on their movements until the late 1890's. Since your movement does not carry the patent dates, I would suggest the movement was made before 1879, and the clock perhaps about the same time. In fact, a reprint of the Ingraham 1880 catalogue and price list indicates that the Argand was offered between 1879 and 1882.

BTW, where I wrote "1861" above (post # 2), I should have written "1860." Sorry for the slip.

6. Robert Ryan

NAWCC Member

Mar 16, 2019
    Male
    Maine
    Country Flag:
    Thank you so much for that history....very interesting.