E. Ingraham clock

Shiro Campbell

Oct 17, 2018
Country
Ive had this clock for a while now and decided I wanted to find out more about it. I was able to trace the serial number on the movement to March of 1905. Unfortunately, the instructions on the back are in taters, namely the area denoting the model. It looks very similar to the "Rose" model and the model name starts out "Ro", however mine has a different crest on top. Any historical or operational information would be appreciated. Thanks!

image.jpg IMG_0938.JPG

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Ingraham clock movements did not carry serial numbers. However, beginning in 1897, they did date code their movements on the front plate, flanking the hand shaft. So if the "serial number" you mention is "03 05", then, yes, that stands for March 1905, the month/year the movement was made. This would coincide somewhat with the last year the Rose was offered in the catalogue, which was 1903-04. However, it could have continued to be sold for some time after that - remaindered, as it were. Tran Duy Ly's book on Ingraham clocks shows a catalogue illustration from the 1896 catalogue. So, there is arrange of dates, 1896-1904/5. Or, ca. 1900.

I can't fully explain the crest, unless someone has done some repair work using parts from other clocks. It doesn't look right.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I think it had applied pieces near the top that have gone missing. Or possibly the top part, above the necked down part, has been broken off and replaced. If the latter, there should be evidence on the back. Willie X

Shiro Campbell

Oct 17, 2018
Country
Very good eye, Willie! I just noticed a very subtle line at the top of the crest. It seems someone replaced the top section of the crest after it broke at some point. The repair was excellent to the extent I never noticed in the year I've owned the clock!

Steven- So would you say it likely is a Rose and if so, what would you guess the production year to be?

Thanks!

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Steven- So would you say it likely is a Rose and if so, what would you guess the production year to be?
Given what remains on the label and taking into account the repairs/replacements on the crest, the Rose is as good an ID as any. If the movement is from 1905, as I suggested above, that would be a good estimate for its "production," always assuming that the movement currently in the case is the movement originally placed in the case. It might have been offered later than 1905, if a leftover case was fixed up with a more recent movement and sent out into the world. Movements were not always used as soon as they rolled off the assembly line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravens Watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller