• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

E. Howard Watch Co. Boston

oldtec

New User
Mar 26, 2012
I inherited a pocket watch from my father's estate that belonged originally to his older brother and possibly to my grandfather before that. The case is engraved with my uncle's initials but the medallion on the watch chain was from the Long Island Railroad Athletic Association, circa 1927 (my grandfather was a railroad blacksmith).

The case is 14k white gold, the serial number on the watch works is 22094 and indicates 17 J. It appears that the end of the hour hand has broken off and is free-floating beneath the crystal. In its present condition, it does not keep time.

I have tried using Google to acquire some information about this timepiece and found NAWCC. I am hoping that one of you knowledgeable collectors can shed some light on this mystery. I would love to know when the watch was made and how common or rare it is. Many thanks for reading my post and for any help that you may provide.
100_0360.jpg 100_0361.jpg 100_0362.jpg 100_0364.jpg 100_0365.jpg

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Your 10 size E. Howard Watch Co. watch could date from 1927. I do not believe we have an accurate serial number to date correlation for these watches. They are in their own serial number sequence, independent of the larger watches from the company. This model was made in 17, 19 and 21 jewels. It is technically a rather advanced example of American watch making. If you are using Internet Explorer, you can view this PowerPoint presentation on the E. Howard Watch Co. and how it developed. http://awco.org/EHowardWatch/BridgesMiddlesex_files/frame.htm. The presentation does not work well with other browsers.

oldtec

New User
Mar 26, 2012
Thank you kindly for your reply. I followed the link to the presentation that you suggested and I believe that the watch showcased on slide 28 very closely resembles mine. I have begun to search for NAWCC watchmakers in my area and have found a couple that I plan to contact for repair estimates. If possible, I hope to restore this to working order and pass it along to my own son as a keepsake. It will be a terrific memento from a grandfather who passed on in 1935, twelve years before I was born. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chiuzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent