E. Howard tower clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by bptanguay, Aug 1, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bptanguay

bptanguay Registered User

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    I'm working on an E. Howard and I'm looking for a picture of the back side of the clock to show what is missing. Does anyone have images on this clock?
    IMG_5072 (1280x960).jpg

2. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Here is the back side of my clock to show what is missing, now I need on that is complete. Thanks for any help. IMG_5069 (1280x960).jpg

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 doug sinclair, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    You are missing the RACK which counts the hours. The rack interacts with the snail as shown in your one picture. The rack HOOK appears in this same picture. But you may also be missing other parts. Can' t tell. I have uploaded a couple pictures of one of these Howards which I hope will help.

image.jpeg image.jpg

The the image on the left, above, shows the snail (shown in your picture), and the bottom end of the rack where it contacts the snail, just prior to the strike starting. A/ is the indexing pin, B/ is the rack, and C/ is the snail.

The right image shows the top end of the rack with the triangular teeth, the rack hook (preventing the rack from dropping), and the gathering pallet which lifts the rack one tooth with each half revolution. I don't have a picture of the complete rack. A/ is the gathering pallet, B/ is the top end of the rack, and C/ is the rack hook.

4. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the pictures Doug, I'll head up again this weekend and look around, I think they disconnected the striking mechanism and may have just used the timekeeping. Now I know what I'm looking for.

5. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    IMG_5159 (1280x960).jpg Serial # 2210