E Howard Tower Clock Suspension Spring

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Russkcpa, Jul 17, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Russkcpa

Russkcpa Registered User

Nov 25, 2005
    I am repairing an E Howard 00 Tower Clock and am working on the repair of the suspension spring
    It appears to be .012 spring steel but I have also seen someone using .015
    Will this matter ?
    Also I don't see a source for this thickness (just the usual thin stuff in Time Savers) and wondered if anyone can guide me the right direction
    Thanks very much !!
    Russ

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've used sections of clock mainsprings for suspension springs on tower clocks. They seem to work well. Although they have a natural curve, they straighten right out when the weight of the bob is hung on them.

Frank Del Greco

3. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you can also check out MSC , McMaster Carr and others. They sell coils of blue spring stock in various width and thickness. Only thing is, coils are around 100 ft. or so. Not inexpensive in some sizes, especially if you need only a foot or less.

4. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Russ: Turn out, I have an almost full coil of .010 x 1/4" blued spring steel stock. Let me know if you can use some. If this is for the small Howard you asked about a while back, my best guess is this would be ok.