E Howard Tower Clock Serial Numbers

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Zionclock, Sep 22, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Zionclock

Zionclock Registered User

Jul 5, 2011
    I have finally located the serial number for our E Howard Tower Clock. It is #2565, in quarter inch high letters on the left side of the frame. Does anyone have a list of serial numbers and any additional information regarding this clock, or a suggestion as to where I can get more information? Thanks for any help that you can provide.

2. FDelGreco

FDelGreco Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Retired chemical engineer
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  3. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Frank, I am an NAWCC member but I have not been able to link to the site you reference here. I have not been able to find the information by using search either. Is this link "active" and if so any suggestions on my accessing it? I came across a small time and strike E Howard mechanism and of course would like to learn more about where is was originally installed. thanks and regards

4. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim:

I clicked on the link and I don't think it is functioning now -- it has the same issue as a number of other links, created by the iMIS upgrade. Give HQ a few days for the problems to be ironed out, and then try again.

Frank

5. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  6. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

404 - Component not found​
    You may not be able to visit this page because of:

1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
    2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
    3. a mistyped address
    4. you have no access to this page
    5. The requested resource was not found.
    6. An error has occurred while processing your request.
    Please try one of the following pages:

If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site.
    Component not found

404 - Component not found​
    You may not be able to visit this page because of:

1. an out-of-date bookmark/favourite
    2. a search engine that has an out-of-date listing for this site
    3. a mistyped address
    4. you have no access to this page
    5. The requested resource was not found.
    6. An error has occurred while processing your request.
    Please try one of the following pages:

If difficulties persist, please contact the System Administrator of this site.
    Component not found

7. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting. The link worked for me. You can try clicking on the members only resources on the library and research page, then clicking on the Howard link. Also, there's a picture of the Howard records on the library and research page that can get you there. I've notified Kevin at HQ and he and Marcus are working on debugging.

Frank

8. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I can access the Seth Thomas Clock Records using your method Frank. But, The E Howard site returns me to the member log in page and it tells me I am logged in,,, "You are currently logged in to the private area of this site" but no other options are available, at least directly. I can select the Library and Research tab from that screen, and doing that takes me through the same process and the same results... and I don't need Seth Thomas information....just E Howard....thanks for your effort Frank, but I have wasted several hours of time trying to get information that should be only seconds away...and that is must disconcerting

9. FDelGreco

Aug 28, 2000
    Male
    Novelty, OH
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jim:

I was having the same problem until Kevin Osborne at HQ emailed me the correct link. I posted that link but maybe the MB corrupts it. Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you the link directly.

Frank

10. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thanks for the offer Frank. I will send a PM with email address just to see if that helps. Here is what I posted on one of the other threads....I was able to get to the site on another computer.....

"Tom, I thank you for all the time you have spent on this issue for me (and others). I have not been able to gain access to the E Howard data, but I can the Seth Thomas Tower Clock data, which seems most strange. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate with IE 9. That said, late last night I used another of my computers, also with Win 7 U and IE 9 and was able to access the needed information. I have no idea "why" but I did want to convey that the problem seems to be computer specific, in my case. Not certain that helps anybody, but I figured it worth mentioning."

11. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hmmmm... the link still doesn't seem to be working properly. Others do, including the Seth Thomas records and Keystone Magazine. I am helpfully directed to a page that informs me I am logged into the "private area", but no E. Howard records are there any more. Here is what I see. What gives?
    Login
    key.jpg You are currently logged in to the private area of this site.

12. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Peter,

I did not ever get my main computer to open the link. I have been able to log in and access the site/link on other computers...not that solves the problem I and others have had. So, in my case the remaining problem is someplace in the history/cookies that does not clear using the normal clearing functions in my one computer.

13. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Peter,

I was finally able to use the subject computer to log into the link by removing IE9 and installing Chrome for web browsing....

14. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Jim,

I use Firefox, and have never had trouble opening a link. There is a bug at National's server tha
    t prevents easy usage of the files, and it should be fixed so it is available to all, not just technical geniuses.

15. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday with Markus, and he was very helpful- as of today whatever problem I was having seems to have been solved, as I can now open the Howard records link with no problem whatsoever. Thanks, Markus, for your help straightening this out. Apparently this problem, along with a host of others, was caused by the recent iMIS upgrade, compatibility, etc., and they are trying to work through all the problems to get things running smoothly again.

16. tom kerr

tom kerr Registered User

Jul 2, 2012
    Retired
    Edinburg, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #16 tom kerr, Oct 16, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    I took a slightly different tack and just opened the two ledgers containing records for Tower Clocks. The second ledger should have contained the info for #2565 if I'm reading the entries correctly. The first image is the data format. The 2nd image is the last page in the ledger with data. The remaining pages of the ledger were blank and not scanned into the PDF file. I hope that I have mis-interpreted the data, but the last entry appears to be about 100 shy of #2565. Ledger #2 ran from Jan 4, 1902 to Dec 29, 1905. Perhaps there are later ledgers?

TowerClockBook-2.JPG TCB - final pages.JPG

Attached Files:

17. ClockMogul

ClockMogul Registered User

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How are serial numbers marked on a Howard Tower Clock. Are they stmped into the unit somewhere or...? Mine has in gold leaf stenciling on the top 1815.. Any idea on what the 1815 is..Serial number possibly?

18. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Also look on the top of the base, LH side as you face it, pendulum in front, middle of the base. There should be in 1/4" high figures, the same numbers, hidden by years of crud. We all believe those are serial numbers.

19. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Howard 5.jpg
    Here is what i htink is the serial number possibly..? This is looking from the top down.. Any idea what year this is roughly..?

20. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Based on what numbers I have on file, that were visualy observe in location, and with what printed records I have which were downloaded from the web, which showed "location & generic description" I'd say the clock dates from the late 1890s.

21. tom kerr

tom kerr Registered User

Jul 2, 2012
    Retired
    Edinburg, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #21 tom kerr, Nov 9, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    I found an entry for #1815. The record is almost too faint to read. The digits for the number of skeleton dials and dia[meter] are my best guess. Beautiful clock. I found it on LiveAuctioneers just before the auction. I watched the bidding and waved goodbye when it hit my bidding limit. I had no idea at the time what tower clocks sell for.

June 6, 1900
    Order book # 16; Order # 349
    No. 2 Time Piece
    Ukiah, Calif. Insane Asylum (Google says this is the Mendocino State Asylum for the Insane)
    4 (or 9) skeleton dials 7" (or 9") dia.

22. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom, Thanks so much for locating the information on my Howard.. Because of that information, I was able to find a picture of the Insane Asylum this clock actually came out of.. (Spooky) I also had no idea what tower clocks bring, however i knew this was a gem in condition, originality and completeness. I was shocked when i picked it up yesterday to find so many things that were not in the picture.

23. tom kerr

tom kerr Registered User

Jul 2, 2012
    Retired
    Edinburg, VA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My pleasure. I felt the same way - Spooky. Adds a special flavor to the piece. Cheers.

24. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In this case the serial number was stamped under the brass E Howard nameplate. It was also painted on both ends of the base frame. As can be seen by the serial number this clock is a bit later, more in the 1922-1925 range (guessing) as the ledgers saved and copied do not go that high...I mention this as I have had a good number of smaller Howard tower clocks and this is the first I recall with this hidden stamping as well as the painted on serial numbers.

Like many, or most, or all Howards, the last digit of the serial number is stamped on the individual parts of the movement, each gear, each bushing, the lift arms, the snail, on and on....virtually every part...except screws/bolts....

Attached Files:

25. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    According to the E Howard Serial Number list, this unit was installed in June of 1900.. Thats what the ledger book says..I have not said anywhere htat this has "hidden" stamping's as there is no hidden stampings..

26. ClockMogul

Oct 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Page 165 of Howard Ledger June 6th, 1900

27. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess I was not clear in my comments, I was refering to the serial number in the photo I attached, (3490) not the serial number in the original post. "As can be seen by the serial number this clock is a bit later, more in the 1922-1925 range"

28. cpsquires

cpsquires Registered User

Sep 9, 2013
    I picked up an E. Howard tower clock recently and am unable to get to the serial number database (and am a NAWCC member in good standing). The serial number stamped is 1114. Any ideas on a model #, production date and location delivered would be greatly appreciated.

29. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As always, we definitely need a photo to try and identify your clock. Based on the numbers I have on file, I'm guessing 1886. I found that I have seen #1122, 1886, and #1220, 1887. I do believe that is correct information. Occasionally, I do get a computedr glitch, probably self inflicted, which sometimes causes an error.

30. bptanguay

bptanguay Registered User

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    When I was taking apart our E. Howard Tower clock, I noticed they stamped the serial number on almost every part. Just FYI.

31. cpsquires

Sep 9, 2013
    So far, the only number I've found was located (stamped) under the Howard metal plate in very small 1/8" numbers. Will get a photo up in the near future. Right now, it has the legs, weights and pendulum off and packed away for delivery back home. Rumors from the family were that it came from near Hershey, PA some 30+ years ago.

32. cpsquires

Sep 9, 2013
    e howard tower clock 018.jpg e howard tower clock 020.jpg I found a couple of photos that were taken when I first saw it. Model number?

e howard tower clock 018.jpg e howard tower clock 020.jpg

scootermcrad likes this.
  33. cpsquires

Sep 9, 2013
    ............a couple more photos. e howard tower clock 019.jpg e howard tower clock 021.jpg

e howard tower clock 019.jpg e howard tower clock 021.jpg

scootermcrad likes this.
  34. Splord

Splord Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    I'm curious if anyone can date a E. Howard tower clock in the Madison, NH Church. The serial number is #3973 which I believe dates it later than Volume 1 & 2 of the E.Howard ledgers record (later than 1901). I've attached some pictures, although not the greatest. Any information at all or reference you can send me to would be greatly appreciated. Stu...
    IMG_1780.jpg IMG_1781.jpg IMG_1782.jpg IMG_1778.jpg

35. Nb HTH

Nb HTH New Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Can anyone tell me where to find a serial number on this E. Howard. I am new to the forum and trying to find some history on this clock in my building.

0D99BE25-0093-49A1-9B6C-F0846552F558.jpeg

36. Splord

Splord Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 25, 2014
    I’m taking care of a similar model and the serial number was stenciled on the top cross bar that in your clock is being used as a shelf.