E. Howard Tower Clock Models

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Donn Haven Lathrop, May 22, 2014.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gregory Caron

Gregory Caron Registered User

Jul 30, 2013
    If you could post some photos or give us a link as to any other E. Howard clocks with this same brass plate please do so. High serial numbered clocks 2000-3000 all have the
    plate saying E. Howard Clock CO. Boston Mass and are mounted with two centered screws. As for the marked fan/fly H. W. & C. Co. this is consistent with the 1881 E. Howard
    Watch & Clock Company name. We were not looking for the serial number there. Also when completely tearing down this movement we looked everywhere for the serial number.
    So we are trying to find other factors in the manufacturing of this clock to date it. Anybody got any ideas on the year of this clock? And what justification are you using

2. pmiddents

pmiddents Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Retired USN and college teaching
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #52 pmiddents, Jun 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    First what a great restoration job and only 11 days! Don't you guys realize that genuine perfessionals take years to do this sort of thing.:)

The plate would date the clock to post 1900. The flies with the earlier H.W.& C. marks would be older stock predating the completion and sale of this clock. Were any of the parts stamped with a single number. If so, this would probably be the last number of the serial number.

Since I assume the clock doesn't show up in the Howard Tower Clock records that would date it post 1905. A search of the customer list might turn up the buyer with a single order number which would pin the sale to a year or two.

Paul Middents

PS
    I took my own advice and looked into the history of the Sharon VT Art Center and then checked the Howard customer lists. We got lucky. The Art Center started life as a church in Norwich, VT and was moved by oxen to Sharon in 1910. The customer lists for 1923-1937 list a single order number to Sharon, VT which is probably for this clock. The order number is 43/11492. The highest order numbers start with 46 or 47 which would be 1937. I would guess the clock left the factory between 1933 and 1935.

3. Gregory Caron

Jul 30, 2013
    You asked if there were any numbers on the clock YES all over the place - 362 on the strike drum - 382 on the strike winding crank - 230 on the backs
    of all three beveled cluster gears - 361 in the time drum Strike winding crank was also marked as the fan/fly H. W. & C. Co. The history Donn uncovered was that
    this original building/church was in West Norwich Vt a few miles away. In 1871 the materials were moved to Sharon Vt and used to build there. The clocks home originally was in the
    Baptist Church in Sharon Vt. Thanks so much for taking the time to help with looking up in the NAWCC records as for the 11 day restoration It is just so addicting every time
    you go to the shop to look at it or do some little thing you get started and it just sucks you in and before you know it you have been there 5-6 hours.

4. Gregory Caron

Jul 30, 2013
    onenumber 66.jpg weighttag.jpg handnumber.jpg Great news After you posting the order number and as I got to the stage of doing the dial low and behold look at what numbers appear on the back of the number ones and on the back of the hour hand -the order number. Also a nice find -- a paper label on the weights when we were removing them. Paul thanks for the help.
    Has anyone else run across this in the past??

5. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    This is the first instance I have seen of an order number appearing on the clock. I wonder if this is also the serial number of the clock. 11492 would not be an unreasonable serial number for a clock that left the factory in the mid 1930's.

6. Jim DuBois

Jim DuBois Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just an FYI but I think most of the nameplates were originally back filled to highlight the text. This one had traces of black paint still in crevices so I redid it accordingly....

Attached Files:

7. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Serious doubts about 11492 being a serial number. The timepiece I own has a SN of 3871. I cant tell exactly when this clock was installled, but based on the serial numbers I've seen and knowing when a few of the buildings they are in were built, this is at the least a late 30s product.

Quite a spread between them. Also, legend suggest that Howard built some 5,000 or so tower clocks. I have seen at least two with numbers in the 4000 range.

8. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agreed the 11,xxx number is not likely a serial number. The great tower clock demand days were pretty well done in the 1920's and serial numbers then were under 4000. The glut of public buildings, courthouses and the like being built was really winding down by the time the depression hit. From 1930 to the time E Howard went out of business (what, sometime in the 60's?) production was very low as far as I have ever been able to ascertain. Alton DuBois once suggest he thought the production was less than 250 tower clock mechanisms after 1925 or so until their demise. I don't know where he got that tidbit, or how accurate or inaccurate it might be, but I have seen very few tower clocks that were of more "modern" construction......

9. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think there were many more than 250. I'll look a little harder, but I seem to recall at least one in the 5000 range. It will take a little time. The last "claimed" instal of a tower clock according to a placque in the building is in Sherbourne, Ma. I had a photo of this placque, but I'm not sure where it is now. I don't remember if it was a digital or negative image. Unfortunately, I've has more than one hard drive fail in the last few years.

10. Jim DuBois

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jun 14, 2008
    Male
    Magnolia, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #60 Jim DuBois, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    11/264 #2 SS Hartford City IN 1894 Court House (from the E Howard records) Please see the attached photos of the clock as it exists today, photos taken by Ron Smith this week. It is not what I expected to see from the Howard records.

Attached Files:

11. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Once had a gravity escapement from the looks of things. Really put a lot of time into the new motor bracket...

12. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Howard records call it a No. 2 Special with gravity escapement and compensated pendulum. Also equipped with a gas lighting regulator. Serial No. 1711 Sold Aug. 7, 1894. This is consistent with the remains on the clock and the picture of the pendulum.

13. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wheel for the lighting appears to be gone... Only remains on the clock wich give a clue to the gravity escapement is the two extra bosses on one of the time train uprights.

14. Gregory Caron

Jul 30, 2013
    Here is the final chapter on the E Howard restoration from Sharon VT I took one of the three original dials and redid the numbers with laser cut out material that have been
    painted with 3 coats of auto paint. I however was saddled with the problem of covering a 6ft window with a 4ft dial. So we added a little decoration to the original dial newdial 123.jpg saintsdial.jpg front.jpg one.jpg

15. f.webster

f.webster Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Service/Restoration of Clocks and Mechanical Music
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #65 f.webster, Aug 7, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
    I thought this might be a good place to post some of the images of a clock I visited this summer. In the city of Vinton in Benton County Iowa. This small city has a goal of raising $80K to restore this clock and bell that has been silent for 20 years. When I ask, they weren't sure where that number came from or who was doing the restoration. My mother-in-law (94 yrs young) who has lived in Vinton most of her life wanted to know why I didn't fix it when I was in the tower. The man that presented the clock to the city (1906?) also had his name cast into the bell. The door to the tower I barely fit through. They must have flown it into place.

DSCN6070.jpg DSCN6088.jpg DSCN6099.jpg DSCN6107.jpg DSCN6108.jpg DSCN6103.jpg

16. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I believe the date is 1906 on the bell. The Howard customer list shows a sale to Vinton, IA order number 25/2624. This is consistent with a sale in 1906.
    Paul Middents
    Silverdale, WA

17. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great job. You guys have every reason to be proud.
    Paul

18. f.webster

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Paul... I looked on a Howard list but didn't see it listed. I admit I didn't check the achieves on the NAWCC site. My bad. I wonder if anyone knows who is doing the restoration for Vinton?

19. zambezi80

zambezi80 Registered User

Aug 24, 2014
  20. f.webster

Dec 18, 2009
    Male
    Louisville, KY
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is an up-date on the E. Howard in Vinton Iowa:

Here is the original story: http://thegazette.com/subject/news/benton-county-looks-toward-the-past-for-the-future-20140428

On 8/22/2014 the Cedar Valley Times reported " Workers removed the inner workings of the Benton County's courthouse clock Wednesday to be shipped to Indiana for repair. Benton County Supervisors on Tuesday approved the agreement for Smith's Bell and Clock from Mooresville, Ind., to undertake the project. Four expressed interest to the restoration committee, but one withdrew upon learning the other companies submitting proposals."

The images in the paper show a crane parked on the courthouse lawn and the one side of the clock being flown out the center of the dial.

The page and a half story focused more on things priced and not priced in the contract. The county is not taking the electrical option and wonders about warranty and maintenance.

In any case, the clock is out of the tower and out of the state (of Iowa).

21. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's still a boatload of cash. Someone is smiling like the Cheshire Cat.

It would be interesting to find out if that is the only clock t have been in that buildting seeing as that type wasn't developed until the late 1880s from what I understand.

22. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    gvasale, Wish I knew your first name;
    I'd like to hear more about your sn 3871 clock. I know of one SN 3927 which probably was installed in 1929 or 1930. The highest serial number I have come across is 4003 but I don't have a good date for the installation. Any other Howard serial numbers where you have any date information would be very useful for my research on Howard.
    Paul Middents

23. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Recent research indicates this order number 43/11492 probably dates from the late 1920's rather than the 1930's. 11492 is an order number and probably not related to the serial number which should be in the high 3000's. Your clock is the first one I have ever seen with the order number stamped on it.