E Howard Small Tower Movement

Russkcpa

Nov 25, 2005
I have run across an E Howard Tower movement (identical to the one pictured here) from a collector who bought this at an estate sale.
I am very proficient in cleaning and working with Howard weight driven wall clock movements-I have never had a tower movement though and am a little unsure of myself
I hope I'll be able to eventually have it running
No pendulum-no weight-no suspension spring
It would APPEAR I could manufacture all those parts
I don't know how long the pendulum must be or the amount of weight needed
Would I be able to use thick brass cable or do I need something stronger ?
Thanks-I hope I can learn about these fascinating movements
Russ

Attachments

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Russ,

Hopefully you will get more helpful follow-up than this in your qusst for sources for parts, but it's a start! These are scans from my Howard catalog circa 1924. This might help get the ball rolling. There is no information on either clock, but you might gain a point of reference, and hopefully, more will be forthcoming.

Doug S.

Attachments

gvasale

NAWCC Member
Mar 30, 2005
webster, Ma
Country
Region
Russ: I believe you are from eastern Ma, somewhere in the vacinity of Boston. If so, let me know and I can let you measure up a sample pendulum and keystone if you like sometime in June.

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
The pendulum is a 1 meter pendulum. I have one of these movements with a pendulum in the garage at the moment and can take photos if that would help. I can also supply drawings of some of the missing parts. They are a bit rough but I did them in a hurry awhile back. And like I say I can supply photos too. I am using an 80 pound weight on mine, but it is double compounded. I am using 1/8" stainless steel cable on it from Home Depot.....

Attachments

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
might as well post some photos too as I will be out of town for a bit...

Attachments