• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

E. Howard Series 10

rrwatch4me

May 31, 2015
Azle, Texas
Country
Region
The Series 10 seems to be a under-rated, under-valued, watch in the E.Howard Keystone lineup. I cant figure out why either. What a wonderfully made and beautiful watch. I recently purchased this pristine example of one made in 1912. It appears to have been purchased and rarely used except on special occasions. I haven't serviced it yet and it is still accurate to within 2 seconds per day. I've collected pocket watches for 25 years and this is my first Howard. I am impressed. What are your thoughts on the Series 10 ? Thanks, Cliff

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004a.jpg

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Gold Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi Cliff:

That's a very nice E. Howard Watch Co. Series 10! Would you mind sharing the movement ans case serial numbers with us?

I think that the Series 1 and Series 10 are better watches than the Series 11. Yet, probably because of the "Railroad Chronometer" name, the more common Series 11 draws higher collector interest.

rrwatch4me

May 31, 2015
Azle, Texas
Country
Region
Hi Cliff:

That's a very nice E. Howard Watch Co. Series 10! Would you mind sharing the movement ans case serial numbers with us?

I think that the Series 1 and Series 10 are better watches than the Series 11. Yet, probably because of the "Railroad Chronometer" name, the more common Series 11 draws higher collector interest.
Thanks Kent! Im a little reluctant to post serial numbers on the net due to scammers but if you have a good reason, I will. Do you keep a Howard registry?

Nedredbeard

Mar 7, 2015
Paradise ca
Country
Region
I wouldn't worry about scammers on here. A large part of what nawcc forum is is databases of serial numbers so the history of a companys production can be peiced back together. Records get lost or destroyed after a company goes out of business and it's interesting to see what they were doing and when.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Gold Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Thanks Kent! Im a little reluctant to post serial numbers on the net due to scammers but if you have a good reason, I will. Do you keep a Howard registry?
Yes, Ed Ueberall and I maintain a data base of surviving examples of railroad watches and other watches of interest (to us). The results of this effort in the area of Howard watches show up in the following encyclopedia articles:
[main="E. Howard Watch Co."]E. Howard Watch Co.[/main]
[main="Keystone-Howard 16-Size, 17-Jewel, 3/4-Plate Movement Examples"]Keystone-Howard 16-Size, 17-Jewel, 3/4-Plate Movement Examples[/main]
[main="Keystone-Howard Case Dates vs. Movement Data"]Keystone-Howard Case Dates vs. Movement Data[/main]

Thanks in advance for your support,

Last edited:

rrwatch4me

May 31, 2015
Azle, Texas
Country
Region
Kent, the movement serial number is 1150253. The case number is 1012542 and is marked "C.W.C.CO." . The inner lid is marked " Crescent Extra ". If you can shed any light on it, please let me know. Thanks

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Gold Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Cliff:

Thanks for the information!

I can't really tell you anything beyond what's available in the above mentioned Encyclopedia articles, but I can point out that the [main="E. Howard Watch Co."]Howard[/main] catalog number of the complete watch in that gold-filled case, based on the 1915 catalog page below, is No. 1055.

Looking at that catalog page brings up a point I forgot to ask about, is the watch pendant-set or lever-set?

attachment.jpg

Thanks,

s. smith

Oct 13, 2006
Nice watch ,,In my opinion the series 10 and 0 series 23 jewel were 2 of the best railroad watches ever made.. I work on watches 5 days a week and i always look forward to working on the keystone Howard,s the fit and finish is great on the keystone Howard,s,

patrick59

New User
Oct 12, 2021
Country
I just acquired this beautiful Howard series 10 lever set watch to be part of my small railroad watch collection. I presume the movement has been re-cased at some point. It is a Fahys rigid bow case stamped “R.R.” inside the back cover. I suppose this case lowers the value to collectors but it sure is purty

Nice watch ,,In my opinion the series 10 and 0 series 23 jewel were 2 of the best railroad watches ever made.. I work on watches 5 days a week and i always look forward to working on the keystone Howard,s the fit and finish is great on the keystone Howard,s,
82304687-4E02-4210-8753-88EA7C82B415.jpeg

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
Country
Region
My first pocket watch was a Series 10 Keystone Howard. Yes, they are high quality timepieces.
Your rigid bow definitely looks like a replacement case for the movement, and might drop the collector value a bit. That said, it looks like a really crisp case that may be minty enough to partly offset the lack of originality. And the dial looks nice as well. Nice watch overall. Enjoy.

patrick59

New User
Oct 12, 2021
Country
Th
My first pocket watch was a Series 10 Keystone Howard. Yes, they are high quality timepieces.
Your rigid bow definitely looks like a replacement case for the movement, and might drop the collector value a bit. That said, it looks like a really crisp case that may be minty enough to partly offset the lack of originality. And the dial looks nice as well. Nice watch overall. Enjoy.
Thank you. I think you’re correct. But it is very “minty” so I think it’s going to be a “keeper”, at least for now.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I like the series 10 a lot. I regard these as one of the best 21 jewel Railroad watches. Series 11 was made to lower costs and I consider it a lower grade than the 10.

Check the escape wheel in your 10. It looks like its teeth have raised tips, what we call here a "recessed hub escape wheel(RHEW). Most series 10's have this, as do top grade Swiss watches, They also show up on high grade Walthams, American grade and some Maximus grades. That is the company the Series 10 keeps.

patrick59

New User
Oct 12, 2021
Country
I like the series 10 a lot. I regard these as one of the best 21 jewel Railroad watches. Series 11 was made to lower costs and I consider it a lower grade than the 10.

Check the escape wheel in your 10. It looks like its teeth have raised tips, what we call here a "recessed hub escape wheel(RHEW). Most series 10's have this, as do top grade Swiss watches, They also show up on high grade Walthams, American grade and some Maximus grades. That is the company the Series 10 keeps.
You are correct about the escape wheel, Dr. Jon. Thank you for that info.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
The bridge Howards do look a lot like the Waltham Bridge watches and the first of this type were modified Waltham bridge watches but a lot of Swiss watches had center bridges.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stademock
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry