E Howard serial number

Thurlowe Riley

Jan 28, 2021
Country
I have what I believe is a E Howard #2 time strike with the serial numbers of 256. what year is that. and does anyone know how much weight is on the barrel? I plan on putting a short cable to a weight just for display purpose and have it run for just a few minutes.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Welcome to the forums. Could you post a couple of pictures of your clock? There are likely some folks around who can provide additional information, and pictures are generally helpful - besides the fact that we all like to see clock pictures. :)

Thurlowe Riley

Jan 28, 2021
Country
I am assembling this clock right now. I need to know what weight should be on the drum? What is the psi of the internal drum spring?
And what year this was made with the serial number 256? Sorry for the lighting on the pix.

IMG_2872.JPG IMG_2871.JPG IMG_2870.JPG IMG_2869.JPG IMG_2864.jpg

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Note that the serial number stamp is deep on the right side and gets shallower on the left. As these serial numbers on Howards are typically four digits, the first digit may not have made an impression. It was probably a 2 and the clock, from its looks, was probably made right around 1900. As the clock has been repainted -- at least once -- you might look to see if the missing digit has been filled with paint. Or try a UV light.

As to how much weight to use, the old saying "as much as needed to make it run" holds true. Small rough spots on the pivots can greatly affect the weight needed. Also the weight of the bob if not original.

Frank

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
You asked in your first post what year that serial number is, yet now you say that you know when it was installed. So what exactly are you asking? The clock is definitely not that early.

Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whitrzac
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller