E. Howard Round top movement that was just pulled out of Boston Church

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Russkcpa, May 15, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Russkcpa

Russkcpa Registered User

Nov 25, 2005
    My cousin is a "do it yourself horologist" and recently acquired this E. Howard round top from a contractor that pulled it from a Shawmut Ave church in Boston. He's done a great job cleaning up the works (I told him to leave the paint original but he repainted it anyway. He matched paint as closely as he could and it looks pretty good) Obviously all of the drive works are missing which he would like to restore. If anyone has a source for a round top Howard which could be looked at for measurements that would be great. I can't recall but there may be a round top in my town of Belmont,MA that still is all original. I could be wrong. Anyway here are a few pics.
    Also..Is that number of 351 on the clock a possible SN ??
    Russ

Attached Files:

2. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, I don't think so. Russ. Can you tell me the name of the church?

There are only two likely places for the serial number from what I know. It may be stenciled on the top of the plate which joins the two sides or it is stamped on a ring where the rating assembly is. Looks like its missing.

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There's no chance the missing parts might be stashed elsewhere in the church? Since it appears to have been electrified, there's no telling how much stuff might have been removed!

4. Russkcpa

Russkcpa Registered User

Nov 25, 2005
    Thanks for the information. It was The Holy Trinity (German) Church located on Shawmut Avenue in the South End of Boston. I have enclosed a picture of the church. My cousin's friend did a lot of the "salvage work" (beautiful statues, marble railing around the alter, etc) They removed the tower clock through the top of the structure with a huge crane. We went there before it was removed. I made it up to the first landing to get to the clock (about 20-25 stairs) The landing had very little in the way of secure railings. Apparently there were 2 more sets of stairs to get to the movement. I basically froze at the first landing . There were huge pulleys and boxes filled with rocks that acted as the strike weights. They went from the turret all the way down a narrow shaft. Too scary to even look down. I thought the same thing as Doug. Were is the pendulum and works ? Thanks for the info on the SN
    shawmut ave.jpg

5. Stotman

Stotman Registered User

Nov 19, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Phil Davanza may have some parts.

6. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have not seen that church yet. I'll be looking for it in June. I'll have to fine out what the difference between the "south end" and "south Boston."

I've thought that South Boston was more easterly of RT 3, Southeast Expressway.

No signs of any dials there. And any spire.

Thanks for the photo.

7. Russkcpa

Russkcpa Registered User

Nov 25, 2005
    Which is why I leave things original !!
    I guess 2-3 coats of new paint over the top plate won't help bring out the stenciled SN.

8. Russkcpa

Russkcpa Registered User

Nov 25, 2005
    #8 Russkcpa, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    parish.jpg
    I agree. Very strange. NO signs of any old dials or hardware associated with dials. There was a bell that was removed which brings up this unlikely question.........Was the movement just utilized to ring the bells on an hourly basis ?
    Looked up history of church Here is a picture from 1877. The steeple was destroyed in a 1938 hurricane

9. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Russ: Thanks for the last photo too.

10. pmiddents

pmiddents Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Retired USN and college teaching
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I found a listing in the Howard Customer lists for Holy Trinity Church Boston. The order number listed is 29/4849. The 29 prefix indicates the clock was sold between Feb. 1911 and Jan 1913. The second number is just a chronological order number and has no connection to the srial number of the clock.

11. Jeremy Woodoff

Jeremy Woodoff Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  12. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Russkapa,
    Dimensions of the clock (Floor to top of frame) would be helpful. The Synchronous electric drive is interesting. It might be original. The motor looks very early. Details from the nameplate on the motor and under the motor would be helpful. Howard was selling electrified versions of the Round Top Special. The catalog installations look something like this.
    Paul

13. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Not speaking for Russ, those Bodine gear motors were sometimes installed between the plates as well as outboard like shown. A 2 rpm motor. Scarce as all get out today and the worm gears, extremely hard to find, if not impossible. I have a blueprint for the gear. 2 needed in each motor. No tooling is available as a stock or rental item t make the gears.

We should have a discussion on having tooling made for that item.

The spur gears show hanging off the motor are stock items.

14. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you think it was an original factory installation?
    Paul

15. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    On that clock it would be very hard to say. I know of only one clock that was produced with an electric motor for operation from the factory. The small T&S flat bed style.

How do I know? The frame was never drilled for mounting the winding drum/great wheel of the time train.

16. pmiddents

NAWCC Star Fellow

Jun 15, 2009
    Silverdale, WA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The catalogs show synchronous motor electrified versions of the Model No. 0 Timepiece, Model No. 1 Timepiece (frame undrilled as you note), Model No. 0 Time and strike and the Round Top Special.

17. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw a clock (timepiece) in Athol with only a winding stump on the strike side. Reportedly like that "forever...no bell." Correct/incorrect:???: Have some of these clocks ever moved:???:

On round tops, there's a lot of cast iron wasted for a timepiece. On some you can see bushing "tracks" where parts have been removed.