E.Howard movement with unusual marking

the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
I recently acquired another E. Howard #69 engine room clock with the more common 8 day rectangular movement. The movement has a small letter P inside a larger letter G inscribed inside the back plate. I am sure it is original to the movement as it was inscribed before the movement was plated. I have never seen this before and would like to know if anyone else has a movement with this marking or has seen one. Any idea who or what P G was?

It was tough trying to get a good picture of the mark on the super shiny plate.

Regards,

Jeff

Attachments

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Jeff,

I checked some movements and parts around here.. the first movement I looked at, had the same stamp, though mine appeared to me a little larger?

I had a set of plates and it had a small 'G' stamped in it. I checked another movement and did not see any stamp.

I had another similar movement, except not nickle plated and a cross-hatch pattern on it, instead of the wavy pattern, and it did not seem to have a stamp...

I have one other, but don't know, when I can get around to checking it.

I can use a dial for one of the small engine room clocks.

I bought one of these movements at the Ft Mitchell show. It was missing the escapement platform. Unbelievably, that same weekend at our local Chapter meeting, I picked up a platform for it, though it is missing the regulator.

Ralph

the 3rd dwarve

Nov 3, 2000
Hi Ralph,

Thanks for taking the time out to check that for me. I have no idea what that mark means and probably will never know.
Sorry, I can’t help you with a dial. The only dials I ever see for these are for the round stainless steel plated movements. I would like to find a nice enamel 4-1/2 inch dial myself.
Regards,
jeff

Ralph

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2002
Country
Jeff,

The dial I need has a dial plate about 6 5/8". The opening of the sight ring is just shy of 6".

I have a glossy paper dial I made up. A friend of mine has the same clock with an enamel dial and I'm trying to fake that up.

Cheers, Ralph

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Evocatas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre