$ E. Howard & Co. "Keystone" Clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by hdhaney, Dec 13, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hdhaney

hdhaney Registered User

Dec 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hoping someone can give me an idea of what this clock is worth. I know from what my father told me that this design was commissioned for the State Capital in PA and there is apparently 1 that still hangs in the Senate Chambers, but he was unable to find another like it. This clock runs and keeps time perfectly. It is in excellent condition and is as it was when it came out of the Capital and into my father's collection.

Keystone 1.jpg Keystone 1.jpg Keystone 2.jpg Keystone 4.jpg Keystone 5.jpg Keystone 6.jpg Keystone 7.jpg Keystone 8.jpg Keystone 9.jpg Keystone 10.jpg Keystone 11.jpg Keystone 12.jpg Keystone 15.jpg Keystone 13.jpg Keystone 14.jpg

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow! Tran lists a similar clock he marked "rare" at $6500.00! I think it would need to be researched more to really find a reasonable value. If it's as rare as you indicate, it's pretty special. Your father collected some great clocks! How big is the dial on that one?

3. hdhaney

hdhaney Registered User

Dec 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My father loved his clocks and was very picky about his purchases. I haven't found another like it and best I remember he had not either. Apparently they were made for the capital of Penn (obviously with the "key" design), but if I remember the story correctly they were re-doing the building and basically threw these clocks in the dumpster and kept 1, which is in the Senate Chambers. A friend of my father's was able to recover this one for my father. I also have one of the "Harvey House clocks".

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    So one of two! I'd say that's rare, and likely museum material! Dumpster:???: OMG

5. hdhaney

hdhaney Registered User

Dec 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know that it's the only other one out there, but if there are more he couldn't find them. I do know they were apparently just pitching them and this one was recovered. I do remember that the friend who got this one had said most of them were destroyed and this one happened to be completely intact and unharmed so he grabbed it. I am sure they are there somewhere, just don't know where. Would love to hear from anyone that is familiar with this same clock.

6. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I guess the big question is what does the tag Clock #182 mean?

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dick C and others, the links Dick posted to the auctions that ended, its free to register and see what they sold for, i have, gives me some idea as to values.

8. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    they are at least an indicator that the clock has some good value. unfortunately, those auction results are 8 and 10 years old. prices may be a lot different now than they were in those days. probably not for the better unfortunately.

9. hdhaney

hdhaney Registered User

Dec 10, 2018
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The first link is certainly the same or very very close, but not near in as good a condition. Thank you all very much!