• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

E. Howard & Co. I Have Another Adjusted Hound!!

LarryW

Jan 26, 2014
Pulaski New York
Country
Region
The first time i got a Adjusted Hound I was informed in this old thread https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/e-howard-co-pocket-watch-gamble.161995/#post-1297822 By Clint Geller that these adjusted hounds are hard to find and they have the RR engraved on the side of the balance cock.

"
Hello, Larry,

There is bad news and good news. The odds are very high that your watch is not lever set, and that your case is not original. However, you lucked out anyway, for a completely different reason!

You will notice that the beveled outer edge of the balance cock of your movement is marked "ADJUSTED," indicating a movement adjusted to isochronism, temperature and 6 positions, whereas the top plate is engraved with a hound, which normally designates a movement adjusted only to isochronism. These contradictory markings only appeared together on a handful of hound-marked movements that were upgraded for sale in the railroad watch market before leaving the Howard factory. The serial number of your watch is in exactly the range when these things happened. If you look on the vertical edge of the balance cock adjacent to the regulator screw, you should see the letters "RR" engraved there. I have seen fewer than a dozen of these "RR" - marked movements over the years. They are slightly more common in the N Size open face Model 1884 ("Series VIII"), than in the L Size hunting case "Series V" (Model 1869), which is what you have. I have probably seen fewer than half a dozen L Size RR-marked movements, all of which were nickel. Please confirm my inference about the "RR" marking on your balance cock. Howard was rarely completely consistent about anything.

If you are always this lucky at "gambling," remind me never to play poker with you. :) Congratulations. "

Well im about to post up pictures of my Newer one that I have had for a little while now, but just never showed it off. My newest one is so early it doesn't even have RR engraved on the side.

Here are the pictures of the first one that I ever owned. I sold this one off to a collector that really wanted it ONLY BECAUSE i had seen this one for sale somewhere else. So I basically traded it off to get the new one and made some cash on the side.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Reactions: Paul Sullivan

LarryW

Jan 26, 2014
Pulaski New York
Country
Region
Here is my New one. As you can see, The balance cock is of a different design. It is an earlier serial number, and it does not have RR engraved on the side of the balance cock.

Im assuming this is from the first batch of watches that they used to fill this RR order. Does anyone have any more information on these Adjusted Hounds? I gather they are extremely rare. Is this now the earliest confirmed L size Adjusted Hound known to exist? Thanks!

4.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 6.jpg

LarryW

Jan 26, 2014
Pulaski New York
Country
Region
No sir. I looked hard for it. there is no stamping or writing in those areas. I see it on yours though. I also see it in the pictures of my old one that i already sold. Your balance cock style is like my old Adjusted hound. I was not aware of any writing that could be in this area until you pointed it out. My new one does not have that "Flared out" type style balance cock either. I think i got a first run or something very close to it. I looked at the ledgers and these are not accounted for. Could be in that experimental zone. Just a guess but 66632 might be the second one produced. Dont know.

LarryW

Jan 26, 2014
Pulaski New York
Country
Region
Ha, Ok i see it now. I wish i would have known about that marking a long time ago before getting rid of it. I cant fully see it now to see what it says. Does anyone know what it says? Thanks!

Reactions: PapaLouies

Clint Geller

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Jul 12, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
clintgeller.com
Country
Region
Here is my New one. As you can see, The balance cock is of a different design. It is an earlier serial number, and it does not have RR engraved on the side of the balance cock.

Im assuming this is from the first batch of watches that they used to fill this RR order. Does anyone have any more information on these Adjusted Hounds? I gather they are extremely rare. Is this now the earliest confirmed L size Adjusted Hound known to exist? Thanks!

View attachment 632356 View attachment 632357 View attachment 632358 View attachment 632360 View attachment 632361
Larry, the "Adjusted" marking on this movement doesn't look quite kosher to me - the lettering is too small and not well executed. As expected, when I checked the factory records, this movement is listed as Grade 4, which is adjusted only to isochronism and carries no adjustment markings. It may be that some jeweler added the "Adjusted" marking to your movement, just as some others added engraving that inflated jewel counts.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpringDriven

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.