E Howard, Children's Museum, Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by Brad Maisto, Jul 25, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Brad Maisto

Brad Maisto Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I was at the Childrens Museum in Pittsburgh, PA yesterday and found a fascinating E Howard tower clock installed in a stairwell of the "Old Post Office" building, now part of the Children's Museum. The plaque mentioned that this E Howard is maintained by the Allegheny chapter of NAWCC. I tried to search this forum, but found no links? My wife took several pictures, but they are not off the camera yet. I will post them as soon as possible unless a Chapter member from Pittsburgh already has some ready to post with any other pertinent information concerning this "Hidden Jewel" while wandering around this Museum.
    Thanks, Brad Maisto, Indiana Chapter 18 President

2. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are the pictures my wife took of the E. Howard tower clock at the Pittsburgh Children's museum. Sorry for the "personal touch" in some of the photos, but this was a vacation.
    Brad Maisto, Indiana Chapter 18 President

Attached Files:

3. Brad Maisto

NAWCC Member

Oct 1, 2000
    Male
    Chemist - Retired
    Grandview, IN
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting information to add to this post from several years back! The grandson of Frederick Jauch, Dave Krueger contacted me to thank me for posting information about the E. Howard clock that his grandfather donated to the Pittsburgh Children’s Museum. He now has a pair of the clock hands hanging on a wall in his home that he “rescued” from the DuQuesne incline storage area.
    upload_2019-8-14_8-34-23.jpeg

He also sent me a picture of his grandfather (who passed away in 1993) standing next to the clock when it sat atop the Hereen building.
    upload_2019-8-14_8-36-44.jpeg

I would be curious to know if there are NAWCC members still alive who would remember his grandfather or may have purchased clocks or watches from him?
    Thanks, Brad Maisto, Kentucky Floral #44 Secretary

PatH likes this.
  4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Before our recent Annual Convention in Springfield, we met in 1980 in Boston. I believe Fred was there, but I did not know him all that well even though we were members of Chapter 37 until 1978 when we moved to Mass. His family was there selling off some of his clocks.

I bought a Seth Thomas Sonora Chime from him at that meeting and a similar New Haven clock with a Canadian patent chime movement,that is still on my workbench waiting for me to get it going.

My friend Hank Farrer bought a small stick barometer that Fred had made to satisfy his curiosity about them back in the 70's or 80's and I bought that from Hank a few years ago.

I have fond memories of the Pittsburgh chapter and remember when they did the tower clock installation. Chapter 37 was my chapter when I joined the NAWCC in 1971. Harley Sheets and I lived in Morgantown WV and were regulars at the Chapter 37 meetings from 1971 to 1978.

Brad Maisto likes this.