• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

E. Howard Astronomical Regulator

Antique Scopes

Sep 29, 2022
Country
Just got this recently, not sure which model it is. Sorry I don't have pictures of the inside of the case where the clock attaches, and the movement looks like it has had holes drilled and pieces put in to plug them - extremely nice work.
I realize the dial does not fill the area in the case door, once again, not sure if it is original or not.
Perhaps those of you that know Howards better can fill me in on what I have? I had a clock shop for 30 years, then retired - but still collecting and repairing my own.
I could not find the 5-44 screws in brass with the flat head for the dial that I wanted so I made my own. The suspension spring is bent a little, but it does run and keep decent time. Could not find a new one - are they available anywhere? I have it down to a few seconds a week now. I made the missing piece for the stopwork. It was shipped to me with the weight attached, so I also made a new piece for the pulley.
Pulley hanger broken.jpg
Making missing stopwork piece (6).jpg

20220415_141511.jpg
E Howard Astronomical Regulator (3).jpg
E Howard Astronomical Regulator (4).jpg
20220415_141511.jpg
E Howard Astronomical Regulator (3).jpg
E Howard Astronomical Regulator (4).jpg
E Howard Astronomical Regulator (1).jpg
E Howard Astronomical Regulator (1).jpg
suspension spring bent.jpg
20220929_103439.jpg 20220415_143629.jpg

Antique Scopes

Sep 29, 2022
Country
Shipped in a cardboard box upright between two wood
20220414_091658.jpg
pallets with weight attached. I forgot to add it runs between 9 and 10 days before a rewind is needed.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Very nice! How do you know when it needs to be wound, with the weight not being visible?

Uhralt

Douglas Romero

NAWCC Member
Nov 3, 2001
New England
Country
Very interesting clock. I hope it is all original but I can‘t tell. The case looks like an E. Howard 89 model of which I had a couple. All the E Howard Astros I have seen were in more elaborate and perhaps more ornate. The door lock is an obvious replacement and the dial looks a bit strange to me. Hope I am wrong. Is the dial 12” or 14”. The 12” ones usually had a wooden surround. Most of the astros had silvered or zinc dials from those I have seen.

Hope that someone else can add information or correct what I have mentioned. Doug

Antique Scopes

Sep 29, 2022
Country
10-1/2" dial. I also forgot to say the hour wheel can be put on the stud on the bottom, where it is now for separate hours, or it also fits on the center post. There was a hole where the lock goes, I found a non-original one that fits.

Antique Scopes

Sep 29, 2022
Country
I'm sure they are metal - all the mercury ones I have seen the vials sit between the top and bottom - this one looks like the rod goes through the middle.
20220930_093215.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chiuzo
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent