E.Ducommun & Marti watchmakers' pliers

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Peter Planapo, Nov 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter Planapo

Peter Planapo Registered User

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all,

I recently picked up these 2 tiny pliers in a market, and was quite excited as I have a couple of S.Marti clocks. Interesting to note that English steel ("Acier Anglais") was so highly thought of back then.

I was wondering if it's the same Marti, as it's not a very common name in France. Or possibly a cousin, brother, son? Apparently around 3300 Martis have been born in France since 1890.

Ducommun Inc is today a billion-dollar California company founded by a Charles Ducommun, watchmaker. An even more rare name... only 250 since 1890, so I'd think a connection is highly probable.

Since I got them I find they aren't that rare, and turn up from time to time on eBay. Has anyone any history of these tool makers?

Peter

20191111_153954a.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    There is quite a comprehensive history of this company on the Watch-Wiki site. It is in German, but if you need to, you can press the 'translate this page' button. (The resulting translation is a bit odd in places, but pretty good). To find it, look in Google for 'E. Ducommun & Marti - Watch-Wiki'.

Hope this helps.

JTD

3. Peter Planapo

Peter Planapo Registered User

Mar 23, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Very useful, thank you.

I'll certainly get more enjoyment from my pliers now!

Peter