E clips for Schatz cuckoo

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Schatz70, Oct 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Schatz70

Schatz70 Registered User

Oct 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I broke an E clip for my Schatz 8 day cuckoo (small one that holds on the rack) and am trying to figure out what to order on Timesavers.
    Timesavers

How do I figure out what to order? Timesavers has a bewildering list of choices here. The post on the front of the front plate that the rack goes on is about 2.5 mm in diameter and there is a groove cut into it to accept the E clip that is a tad smaller than that. The outside diameter of the circle on the front of the rack that the E clip fits into is about 5 mm in diameter.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cuckoo clock 9 12 2019 001.JPG

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    A twisted piece of the correct size soft iron (or brass) wire will work just fine. This part has no lateral forces. Willie X

Schatz70 likes this.
  3. Schatz70

Schatz70 Registered User

Oct 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you!! I spent a couple of minutes trying that with a small piece of wire and I think it will work. I was afraid that the wire would cause friction preventing the rack from dropping, but it doesn't seem to.

4. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Make sure you have at least a small amount of end play after the wire. If you are going to fool with clocks made after about 1950 just get an assortment to have on hand. These things seem to take flight if you look at them.

RC

Kevin W. likes this.
  5. Schatz70

Schatz70 Registered User

Oct 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    They are easy to lose and it seems like they can only be reused a certain number of times before they break. I ordered an assortment of 100 "made in India" from Timesavers today in hopes that some of them will prove useful.

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The India made parts are notorious for poor quality and short life. I'd get a set of Hermle e-clips. The work on lots of things.

Schatz70 likes this.
  7. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There seems to be two kinds - those made from spring steel, and those that are common steel that do not "snap" in place and have to be squeezed closed. This sort of stuff from India is often disappointing.

RC

Schatz70 likes this.
  8. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    In an emergency you can rap a thin piece of wire around the slit where the clip goes. If the part can't slip off you are fine.

Schatz70 likes this.
  9. Schatz70

Schatz70 Registered User

Oct 5, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
  10. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As a couple of people have said, get an assortment.

11. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    It's easy to make an old school 'split washer'.

Just make a small washer of steel or brass shim stock, a little thinner than the groove. Punch, or drill, the hole slightly larger than the necked down part of the groove and split it with a thin cut-off discs, or snips. The slot, or split, needs to be a little smaller than the neck of the groove.

Note, when making small washers, it's much easier to drill or punch the hole before punching, or cutting, the washer out of the stock.

Just lightly force it on and your done. If it seems a little loose, squeeze the split washer slightly at the center with pliers.

You can also make small external push on spring clips from spring or piano wire. On these the wire needs to be a little smaller than the groove is wide. The wire goes completely into the groove with purchase at both sides. Look at the pins used on farm and yard equipment hitch pins for a model.

WIllie X

Schatz70 likes this.