• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Dutch clock hand

tlw1344

NAWCC Member
Apr 30, 2007
Central Alabama
clockworksofmontgomery.com
Country
Region
Dutch 1.jpg Dutch.jpg

I have a Dutch clock that I installed a new movement. I can not move the bushing on the hour hand to adjust to the top of the hour when it strikes. I have tried using a old Hermle minute arbor to move the bushing but it starts to round the corner. The back of the hand, the bushing does not stick out enough to use pliers to turn the bushing. Any suggestion on how to move the bushing? Heat the hand:???:?

Thanks!

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Timesavers has a tool specially designed for this. It's basically a screwdriver that has been filed to a point with four flat sides. You could make one with a grinder. That would give you excellent support while you turn the hand. Someone might have glued it in the past, so heat would possibly help but might discolor the hand. Here's the idea.

Last edited:

R&A

Oct 21, 2008
Country
I just did one of these Dutch Hoods and the bushing was missing. You can order new bushings from timesavers. But the bushing has to be reworked. I made the one I needed. It was slip fit but snug. I take a piece of pivot steel and grind a square on the end to make a die. The die if for squaring out the inside of the bushing. Hammer it into a hole just about .005 bigger than the hand shaft. I make the bushing on my lathe from brass round stock. It works like a cuckoo clock hands set up. When you tighten the hand nut, it secures the hand on the bushing. I do this on allot of hands and it works very well. But you have a bushing that is to tight. You would have to knock it out and open up the hole some. If you destroy the bushing. Making one is an option.

H/C

tlw1344

NAWCC Member
Apr 30, 2007
Central Alabama
clockworksofmontgomery.com
Country
Region
I purchased one from Timesaver's but the shaft turns in the handle. I purchased this to have in my tool box on house calls but I must put the shaft in a vise to move bushing. The square shaft does not fit the inside of the bushing very well but I will try and see what happens.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I purchased one from Timesaver's but the shaft turns in the handle.
One of mine does that too. It's annoying that you can't get good tools any more! :mad:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I purchased one from Timesaver's but the shaft turns in the handle. I purchased this to have in my tool box on house calls but I must put the shaft in a vise to move bushing. The square shaft does not fit the inside of the bushing very well but I will try and see what happens.

Thanks for your suggestions.
A much better, and more compact, one can be made from a steel chime rod. Heat and bend it to an 'L' shape about 1 1/2" x 3". The taper can be ground easily and accurately using the long leg as a guide. Easy to hold this at the 90 degree positions as you grind away on the side of a common bench grinder wheel. The taper needs to be long, 1" long is good.

Might as well make 2, one for the bench and one for house calls.

A reworked file tang is just as good as far as usefulness, but I like the 'L' shaped item described above much better.

Note, many manufacturers use the hand nut upside down on these clocks. Often the threads won't catch, or barely catch, with the nut right side up.

Willie X

Reactions: tlw1344

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
A yellow handled Robertson (square head) screwdriver is a good fit on these hand bushings. Many modern grandfather clocks use these screws to fix the dial surround wood to the case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurenell
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-