Durham's Water Putty

John Teeter

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Golden Circle
Jan 31, 2001
I have a nice clock but with a broken replacement tablet. Unfortunately it was put in with water putty. :( I believe that it is a form of plaster, not real putty. I want to replace the tablet.

Does anyone know of a good removal process?

John Teeter

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes

Staff member
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2006
Rhode Island
www.cogcounters.org
Country
Region
John, a mutual friend of ours once told me of mounting a square edged router bit in his drill press, then running the door, face down on the drill press bed, along a fence he had clamped to the bed. This allowed him, with several passes, to neatly rout out the putty/plaster, and with good control. He finished the corners off with a sharp chisel. Though it sounds like a recipe for disaster, he claimed that with proper precautions and patience, it wasn't as hair-raising as one would think.

Troy Livingston

NAWCC Member
Aug 28, 2006
Melrose, FL
Country
Region
Peter,
On first read I cringed and I was going to suggest a chisel for everything, not just the corners. After a little thought this idea has grown on me and I now think it would be the best solution. Placing the door on a thin sheet of plywood to prevent damage to the finish and using multiple passes as you suggested would probably place a lot less stress on the door frame than using a chisel. Durhams is fairly brittle when dry and would probably just crumble away from the wood as the router bit gets closer to the wood. Just a guess as I have never tried this technique but have had to clean up this stuff when patching defects in plywood.

Paul H

NAWCC Member
Jun 23, 2005
Country
For real stubborn putty in the past I have simply used a good sturdy box cutter knife. You can slit the wood on the door just under the putty. This theoretically enlarges the opening in the door, but if you use a steady hand, the amount you are doing this is less than 1/32 inch which is negligable. You still have to do some work to get the putty separated from the glass. After the new tablet is installed, you really can't tell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller