Dumpster find ID

Altdorfer

May 19, 2020
Country
I am fairly new to the hobby and have come across another dumpster find. The chime train barrel is damaged and wondered if anyone knew what the movement is as I would like to search for spares (I'm guessing that this will cost more that the clock is worth but I just like that challenge of getting the clock repaired!). It was found in Germany and I think it's a fairly common German movement so maybe not so difficult to repair? It would be helpful if anyone could confirm the manufacturer. Many thanks in advance.

20210417_215938_resized.jpg 20210417_215954_resized.jpg

Salsagev

Feb 6, 2020
Madison
www.youtube.com
Country
Region
The chime train barrel is missing, not broken. It looks to be a generic German movement. Sometimes it may be impossible to find a exact maker. Some others may be able to identify it. This clock is really easily work able since it’s mainspring barrel is missing. You can use it to practice disassembly. Be sure to let down the mainspring. Probably was a scrapped movement.

Be careful buying loose movements online. You will either end up with a movement like the ones like yours (missing parts) or something that has damaged parts BEYOND worn bushings and such.

Altdorfer

May 19, 2020
Country
The chime train barrel is missing, not broken. It looks to be a generic German movement. Sometimes it may be impossible to find a exact maker. Some others may be able to identify it. This clock is really easily work able since it’s mainspring barrel is missing. You can use it to practice disassembly. Be sure to let down the mainspring. Probably was a scrapped movement.

Be careful buying loose movements online. You will either end up with a movement like the ones like yours (missing parts) or something that has damaged parts BEYOND worn bushings and such.
Thanks Salsagev - that gives me hope that it could be repaired and the advice on buying parts. Very helpful.
One thing I forgot to post was the damage to the barrel (I have it and have removed it and found some teeth have been damaged)

20210418_091303_resized.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Those missing teeth can be replaced by a competent clock maker.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HamiltonFan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre