• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Dumb watchmaker collets question

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
this will seem like a dumb question but over the weekend I picked up a box of collets and am not sure what size they are, either 7mm or 8mm. When I measure the threads they are about 7mm and when I measure the portion that is not threaded, the solid part, it is 8mm. What would be the correct way to measure a collet? Thanks for any help with this.

Scott Erholm

Mar 28, 2009
Bozeman, Montana (Southwestern Montana)
Country
Region
For starters, I do not believe there is such a thing as 7mm collet, certainly not a popular size.

The size is determined by the body, so your collets are 8mm.

There's more to it than that, however. There is also the model style, which is most likely either WW (Webster-Whitcomb) or Moseley. Moseley collets may have a conoidal head (curved) and may be longer (40 mm).

Is the head of your collets angled or curved? And what is the length from the end of the thread to the end of the chuck angle? Is there a make stamped on the body?

Weight Driven

May 24, 2004
Country
thanks for the reply Montana. The heads are curved. Not sure of the length as have not measured yet. I thought they were 8mm but was not 100% sure.

Dave B

Banned
Jun 7, 2008
Westminster. MD
Country
Page 58 of The Watchmakers' Lathe, by Ward Goodrich has a table showing complete exterior collet dimensions for 56 different collets to fit various lathes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rastable1
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-