• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

DUFA Largo-Gong Wall Clock

rwbersin

New User
Nov 15, 2020
Country
Hello,
I’m new to clock collecting; I inherited my mother’s Baldwin Westminster Chime mantle clock and have gained a fascination for the old fashioned wind up movement clocks

Moms clock is not to terribly old; I think 1976.

But I just purchased an old DUFA wall clock.

it seems to be working quite well, but I did see just a little hardened grease and I was wondering how best to clean the entire movement

ALSO, is there away to Date the movement?

thanks,
Bob

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
ALSO, is there away to Date the movement?
Welcome to the forum.

"DUFA" stands for Deutsche Uhrenfabrik AG. A brief history of DUFA was provided by a late member of the board - Doug Stevenson:

Etzold & Popitz's of Leipzig (with a branch factory in Villingen after 1912) was in business from at least 1890. Also variously known as the Deutsche Uhrenfabrik Etzold & Popitz, the Deutsche Uhrenfabrik Popitz & Co. (after ca1920), and the Deutsche Uhrenfabrik AG or DUFA (after 1922), they were bought by Kienzle in 1930.

Kienzle continued to use the DUFA trademark after DUFA was acquired by Kienzle.

So, without seeing any pictures, we can say that the clock is no older than 1922 and could possibly be newer than that date. Pictures of the clock, dial and the back of the movement will be necessary to attempt to narrow the date of manufacture.

Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mishellmcgee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-