Dueber Champion 14K

PRIMAX1967

Mar 20, 2011
Pico - Azores
Country
Hello to all. I am new to this. I was wondering if anyone could help me on about a Dueber Champion 14K that was given to me by my father.

From what my father told me, the watch is solid gold. It has the following information on it:

Inner lids:
Dueber Champion 14K
Serial: 2958455

Inner mechanism:
American Waltham Watch Company
SAFETY BARREL 6847428

Watch display:
American Waltham

The watch is absolutely beautiful. In inscriptions and designs on it are amazing. My father told me that he has had it for well over 30 years now. But it was given to him by my grandfather (on my mothers side).

What i would like to know is, what is the current value of the watch. I have been doing some internet research on it. But, and like i said, i am a novice to this. And after a couple of days of web searching and reading. It was getting kind of confusing. So any kind of information that will help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ever so much for you attention.

Bratdaddy@mac.com

Dec 1, 2008
Mid-Atlantic
Country
Sorry, but no appraisals are permitted. There are several ways you can go to determine the actual price a buyer might pay. The first is Ebay, look around at what 14K cased watches are bringing. That's the quick and dirty answer to the question. The second, preferable method would be to join an NAWCC chapter such as EAWC Chapter 149 and post in the Hampden or AWCo specific forums any and all questions you have. There you may discover your watch has value beyond the cost of its parts. Many are tempted by the high price of precious metals to scrap something irreplaceable. They should pause and ask themselves will scrapping a piece of U.S. history, possibly an heirloom without a second chance, if doing so will really have a positive impact upon their lives. Once melted, it's gone forever.

Last edited:

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Very true Brat, i wish people would think it over before putting it in the pot.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi PRIMAX1967:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

Your watch case was made by the Dueber Watch Case Manufacturing Co. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but their Champion grade case is gold-filled, not solid gold. Nevertheless, it is a nice case if not worn through to the underlying brass.

Checking the references listed in the Waltham Watches Encyclopedia article, Waltham movement serial number 6847428 can be seen to be a ladies 6-size, 7-jewel, model 1890, hunting movement, built in about 1895. This was somewhat of a popular, although modest, movement with 37,000 having been built. Please note that errors are known to exist in the references, so it would be helpful if you would post pictures of the movement to confirm that this is what the movement is.

To post an image, scroll to the top of the thread and click on "FAQ," then scroll down to "vBulletin FAQ" and click on the "How to post images." Once in the "How to post images" box, go about halfway down to the statement "There are two ways to attach images while editing a post on the message board." and follow the instructions there. Note that there is no indication of attaching a file (picture) until you go to actually post your thread or your reply. The picture does not show up in the "Instant Reply" text box in which you've written your thread or your reply, nor does the picture appear in the "Preview." Once you see an indication in the "Manage Attachments" box that your files were uploaded, be sure to submit the post from which you opened the "Manage Attachments" box. If you don't, your files will not really be uploaded. You can test your efforts in the Just Practicing and Learning Forum. If you have a problem getting the picture(s) to load, check your file size and make sure that it is less than 500Kb. If it is, it should load to be posted. Too large of a file size is probably the most common problem in trying to upload a picture.

I'm sorry to say that as it says near the top of this page in the menu bar, and as Bratdaddy@mac.com pointed out, "No Appraisals." However, now knowing the proper description of your watch you should be able to use a Google Search to find similar watches offered by internet dealers, or on eBay, and see what they are selling for. Alternately, check the value in the Complete Price Guide to Watches, No 27, C. Shugart, T. Engle and R. Gilbert, Tinderbox Press, Mount Pleasant, SC, 2007. A new edition comes out each year in January or February, so ask for the latest edition. The book is available at libraries, at most major booksellers and online at the NAWCC Gift Shop (ask about the current edition). Condition matters!

You should have the watch serviced before running it very much. It may be helpful for you to read the Encyclopedia article on Watch Service and its related links, especially the one to the message board thread on the subject.

Having gathered and printed out information about a family watch, it is a wise idea to write out as much as you know about the family member to whom the watch originally belonged. Then, add the names and relationships of the family members who passed it down to the current holder. Make up a booklet with this and all of the watch information and try to keep it with the watch. You might even include a CD or, better yet, a USB thumb drive with copies of the pictures or information, in addition to the printouts. Even though they may not be readable 100 years from now, some more recent descendent may transfer the files to the then current format and media. This way, the watch has real family heritage instead of it just being an old family watch, the identity and relationship of the original owner having been lost in the distant past.

Good luck,

PRIMAX1967

Mar 20, 2011
Pico - Azores
Country
Kent;541418 said:
Hi PRIMAX1967:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

Your watch case was made by the Dueber Watch Case Manufacturing Co. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but their Champion grade case is gold-filled, not solid gold. Nevertheless, it is a nice case if not worn through to the underlying brass.

Checking the references listed in the Waltham Watches Encyclopedia article, Waltham movement serial number 6847428 can be seen to be a ladies 6-size, 7-jewel, model 1890, hunting movement, built in about 1895. This was somewhat of a popular, although modest, movement with 37,000 having been built. Please note that errors are known to exist in the references, so it would be helpful if you would post pictures of the movement to confirm that this is what the movement is.

To post an image, scroll to the top of the thread and click on "FAQ," then scroll down to "vBulletin FAQ" and click on the "How to post images." Once in the "How to post images" box, go about halfway down to the statement "There are two ways to attach images while editing a post on the message board." and follow the instructions there. Note that there is no indication of attaching a file (picture) until you go to actually post your thread or your reply. The picture does not show up in the "Instant Reply" text box in which you've written your thread or your reply, nor does the picture appear in the "Preview." Once you see an indication in the "Manage Attachments" box that your files were uploaded, be sure to submit the post from which you opened the "Manage Attachments" box. If you don't, your files will not really be uploaded. You can test your efforts in the Just Practicing and Learning Forum. If you have a problem getting the picture(s) to load, check your file size and make sure that it is less than 500Kb. If it is, it should load to be posted. Too large of a file size is probably the most common problem in trying to upload a picture.

I'm sorry to say that as it says near the top of this page in the menu bar, and as Bratdaddy@mac.com pointed out, "No Appraisals." However, now knowing the proper description of your watch you should be able to use a Google Search to find similar watches offered by internet dealers, or on eBay, and see what they are selling for. Alternately, check the value in the Complete Price Guide to Watches, No 27, C. Shugart, T. Engle and R. Gilbert, Tinderbox Press, Mount Pleasant, SC, 2007. A new edition comes out each year in January or February, so ask for the latest edition. The book is available at libraries, at most major booksellers and online at the NAWCC Gift Shop (ask about the current edition). Condition matters!

You should have the watch serviced before running it very much. It may be helpful for you to read the Encyclopedia article on Watch Service and its related links, especially the one to the message board thread on the subject.

Having gathered and printed out information about a family watch, it is a wise idea to write out as much as you know about the family member to whom the watch originally belonged. Then, add the names and relationships of the family members who passed it down to the current holder. Make up a booklet with this and all of the watch information and try to keep it with the watch. You might even include a CD or, better yet, a USB thumb drive with copies of the pictures or information, in addition to the printouts. Even though they may not be readable 100 years from now, some more recent descendent may transfer the files to the then current format and media. This way, the watch has real family heritage instead of it just being an old family watch, the identity and relationship of the original owner having been lost in the distant past.

Good luck,
Thank you very much for all of the information. The watch is still completely gold covered. Absolutely no brass showing anywhere. Not even the chain itself.
I will try and take some pictures of it and post it on the site.
Once again thank you for your attention.
Best regards

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thequalityone
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre