Doxa Sub T Graph 200 1972 paint

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by SilverDoxaWi69, Mar 1, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. SilverDoxaWi69

SilverDoxaWi69 Registered User

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Wi
    Country Flag:
    Greeting i am new.

I bought this DOXA sub T Graph professional near Dayton Ohio. I have had it since 1972 when i joined the Kittyhawk Dive club at Wright Patterson Air Force Base where I was stationed.

After all these years i re-discovered that my vintage watch works fine. It could use some color on the bezel. One color is black and the other is orange like the face of the watch.

I tried the company that currently is in operation now but they said all records were destroyed in a flood in Switzerland. So I don't know if the color can be reproduced properly since it seemed to have a slight glow years ago. I understand that tritium elements was used on the hands and face, orange was used on the bezel.

Any help would be appreciated. I was an illustrator in the Air Force and am a skilled colorist if give proper guidance or color coding.

Thank you in advance.

E109D958-5E1A-42F0-8003-075F262593F0.jpeg

2. Adam Harris

Adam Harris Registered User
    Moore NWCM Award

May 3, 2012
    Male
    Jubilado (retired)
    Costa Blanca - Spain
    Country Flag:
    Hi amd welcome
    Nice watch, and it looks fine to me.
    Personally. and I am a purist, I would never try to rework a dial or bezel, its patina is age and what the watch is. Enjoy it as it is.

You could search (say) eBay for another similar piece and swop the bezels, you may find a cheap unworking model for sale
    Enjoy your watch as it is
    Adam

3. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi there, and welcome. I second Adam's suggestion to leave your watch as it is. Not only because it bears it's scars proudly and has come through remarkably unscathed, but you might want to consider that The Doxa Sub 200 T Graph is an iconic collectable nowadays and these watches are seldom available due to the numbers made and their intended function (Diving). An attempt to restore this watch would in my view harm it's significant value. Do you still have the "end links" for the bracelet? Very nice watch sir:cool:

4. SilverDoxaWi69

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Wi
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Adam and captainscarlet for the accept direction of care for my Doxa. I have had this watch a long time.

Captainscarlet i loved the bracelet because it fit over my big hands and i could adjust the fit to my wrist. I don't believe i could find the end pieces and was going the write doxa to see if they have a replacement. I don't think they will have them for the rice bead style.

I would consider purchasing vintage ends if available but would need guidance on how to process the exchange.

Again Thank You Both
    Aka Keith

5. captainscarlet

captainscarlet Registered User

Oct 15, 2013
    British Army RTD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Doxa may well be able to help you with a similar version of your end links as they have been producing "re editions" of these watches for years. I believe (but could be wrong) that only 300 of 3 different dial variants (Black, orange, silver) were made. The people who own these watches tend to remove the bracelet and put the watch on a strap, purely to preserve the bracelet and it's intricacies (Innovative design). As it has been sitting for many years I would recommend getting the movement (Doxa 289, based on the Eberhard 310-82) serviced. This is a top notch manual wind chronograph movement which in my view deserves the best care it can get. However the work should be done to preserve the watches authenticity as a whole. No polishing cases, no touching up dial or hands etc etc. This may be an expensive undertaking, particularly if you have Doxa carry out the work, but well worth the time and expense.

6. SilverDoxaWi69

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Wi
    Country Flag:
    Thank You i agree I don't want to change anything and would like to have it serviced. Will have to try to find a reliable and trusted person and place to have it serviced.

I contact DOXA again and ask them if they have the pieces.

7. SilverDoxaWi69

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Wi
    Country Flag:
    I contacted DOXA and they said they have nothing that will fit the end piece of my "vintage" watch. Oh well. Thanks for the help.

8. SilverDoxaWi69

Feb 28, 2018
    Male
    Retired
    Wi
    Country Flag:
    Thank you, I decided to sell My 1971-2 DOXA T-GRAPH Sub 200 professional

Read the following and you will discover I did a through investigation.

After seeing that over a twelve year period there are all kinds of 300's a a number of 300 T Graph silver face and only two one was Gene Cernan's which sold for over $125,000.00 and the Silver/Black faced T Graph one sold for over $17,850.00 and there is an ongoing auction for a 60 YEARS OLD DOXA SUB 200 T-GRAPH EXTREMELY RARE AND UNIQUE CONDITION (which appears to be refurbished) I believe my value of the original working T-Graph falls somewhere in between is a good value.

Beginning Chronological values

Information from 2006 post Indicated tht vintage T-Graphs are very rare birds, only a handful are known around the internet watch forums. So in 2006 they commanded anywhere from $1,700.oo to over $3,000.oo when they came up for sale, which isn't very often.

In another 2006 post a Sub 200 T Graph starting price was $4,000.00 i

N the post I read it was the watch that started it all off by putting a chronograph into a diving watch.

Another 2006 post it was a recommendation of $10,000.oo is what others would sell the Doxa T Graph Sub 200 professional with orange face.

A Feb 2007 post from germany stated the DOXA T GRAPH SUB 200 professional orange face is one of the most valuable rare vintage DOXA's and the value is over $3,000.oo it is not know what it sold for.

A watchuseek.com forum post in May 2010 exclaimed the DOXA T GRAPH SUB 200 professional orange face is the second most holy grail ever produced valued well over $4,000.oo

A watchuseek forum post in May 2010 refers to a chrono24 post that $5,094.oo asking price.

A Hodinkee bringaloupe post on October 2016 remarked that a May 2010 post about the value of a DOXA T GRAPH SUB 200 professional orange face listed on ebay was gone instantly but no value listed.

Another 2016 post claimed that the seller received an offer over $6,000.oo.

In 2013 a post indicated that a Doxa 200 T Graph starting price was $4,000.00 I read it was the watch that started it all off by putting a chronograph into a diving watch while another Doxa on chrono24 a Doxa Sub 200 T-Graph watch had a starting price of $5,000.00 it is unknown what the final price was.

A 2014 post indicated that Doxa 300’s also are very difficult to be found in good condition. The Cousteau connection made these model’s prices in recent years to rise above €5.000 Euros ( $6,151.oo U S Dollars in 2018 ) for a good example.

Another DOXA Sub T-Graph Searambler sold out of Austria for $7,990.oo approximate year 2016.

Then on Dec 6, 2017 on ebay a DOXA Sub 200 black faced extremely rare vintage diver chronograph 45MM appears with the ending price was $17,850.oo.

A current 2018 auction on ebay involving a 60 YEARS OLD DOXA SUB 200 T-GRAPH EXTREMELY RARE AND UNIQUE CONDITION ( black face ) auction due to end on April 5, 2018 has a current value - price of $9,990.oo....

It has been reported that top five houses for Dive Watch auctions are — Christie’s, Sotheby’s, Phillips, Antiquorum and Bonhams — many are pinning their hopes on sales of vintage dive watches.

It is written that Christie’s is the auction house that leads the industry in dollar sales.

Every year sees more auction records with watches, and 2016 will not disappoint,” said John Reardon, Christie’s international head of watches in New York. “Vintage watch collecting is growing in scale and value in a way we have never seen before".

After researching all the values I find I have come to this value. I am going to ask those who pm'd me first before I go to an auction house.

That is why I am asking $54,625.oo firm.

5466A137-B9C6-4880-AA34-FB216CFC0ED4.png