Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon!

There used to be, when there were multiple attachments to a post (a common occurrence with Board postings), a link that would allow me to download a "Zip" file with all the attachments together. Can't find it now. Did it go away? There is an old thread with the same subject line, but it ends in 2017.

Best regards!

Tim Orr

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening, all!

Another interesting thing: I tried to do a search just now, and when I started entering my name, a bunch of "Tim"s came up, but not me. When I went to the "Advanced" mode, the same thing happened until I entered "Tim Orr," at which point, my name and avatar appeared.

Seems odd.

Best regards!

Tim

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Good evening, all!

Another interesting thing: I tried to do a search just now, and when I started entering my name, a bunch of "Tim"s came up, but not me. When I went to the "Advanced" mode, the same thing happened until I entered "Tim Orr," at which point, my name and avatar appeared.

Seems odd.

Best regards!

Tim
The machine probably thinks it is odd that you want to search for yourself?

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
The machine probably thinks it is odd that you want to search for yourself?
I thought about that, too. So, I also started to type in 'Dave' and I also came up first in that list. I suspect there is something 'intelligent' about the search going on that might not be obvious.

Reactions: roughbarked

Tim Orr

Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good evening!

Any ideas regarding the downloading of a "zip" file?

Best regards!

Tim

Tim Orr

Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Just repeated the search for me. Same result.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Names seem to come up in alpha, and only 10 are returned when I just type in Tim (or Pat, etc). As I recall, this is the same behavior when searching for member names as the previous version. If you don't know the last name, or if the user has a different user name, it gets a little tricky to find the person.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I found the ability to post a thumbnail of a PDF file was also very handy.

Unfortunately, those features were part of an Addon where the developer has retired and no one else has come forward to attempt to port it to the new version of XenForo,

I will search for another addon that implements the zip file feature but i have not noticed one in my regular browsing of the software developers site (my Sear's Catalog :))

Tim Orr

Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
Good afternoon, Tom!

Well, it's not the end of the world, but my past experience tells me that whenever an anomaly appears, it is important to report it. I can download attachments one at a time. It was just nicer and more efficient with the Zip system. If there's no longer any support for the Addon, perhaps I was the only one who was using it :p !

The behavior, incidentally, of the search function with regard to my name is definitely different. Always, in the past, my name was the first name that would come up. However, I notice a lot of difficulty in staying "Signed In" on both the NAWCC pages and the Forums. Seems like I get kicked off one or the other or both constantly. I know we're working on this, so I'm not worried about it yet.

I have not observed whether this name search changes when I'm not signed in. I guess I should perform that experiment.

Best regards!

Tim

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I just did a fairly thorough search of the XenForo community site. There was nothing there that does the automatic zip file creation.

Depending on how you use the images or files in the zip container, there are work arounds.

The first is to encourage any member who is uploading a quantity of images or other files to a thread or post to gather them into a zip file and upload it also.

Another that might be better for some uses would be to merge all the images into a pdf file and include that as an additional attachment.

I suspect more people are comfortable with using zip as a container than are with PDF but both are usable. I use an inexpensive desktop application called PDF Candy to manage PDF and ZIP files and, of course zip is built into all desktop file managers I believe.

We could have the moderators offer a service to merge the images from a post into a zip file when requested by the author if the process seems too complicated to the user.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The behavior, incidentally, of the search function with regard to my name is definitely different. Always, in the past, my name was the first name that would come up. However, I notice a lot of difficulty in staying "Signed In" on both the NAWCC pages and the Forums. Seems like I get kicked off one or the other or both constantly. I know we're working on this, so I'm not worried about it yet.
Yes we are working on the sign on mechanism and hope to have it up and running by the first of December if not sooner.

The hack that we had implemented on our previous system to log one in here if the email address matched a registered forum user was causing lots of errors and was not ported to the new installation. Mo one had ever told me who wrote the previous version so I could not persuade them to redo it even if I wanted to. :)

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Surely if it was a script added to the old software then it can be still found in a copy of the old software. You did keep a copy, did you?
Scripts from the old software will not function with the new system It is a ground up rewrite. The new software has released its second version. We are running xF 2.1.12 and the current version is 2.2.1.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Donor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I would only expect a few to admit they could not do it. :)

If someone posted a lot of images of a repair project, you might ask them to put them in a zip attachment. and upload that.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanaweigh
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
How to wire a 24 volt secondary for a 12 volt ITR/IBM Master clock system by Toughtool