• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Double weighted Vienna and beat problems

andrewmcl

Jul 13, 2022
Country
Hi, I would appreciate any help wth this one. I can only get this clock to run with the left side of the case tilted up slightly. When everything is level and the pendulum bob is in line with the centre of the beat plaque, it runs very poorly. Stops every ten to fifteen minutes. I have included a short video where I have marked with blu tac where centre is and where the left and right tics are. It runs ok like this but it is noticeable that the clock to sitting at a slight angle which I don't like. I have tried with it straight and adjusting the little knurled nut on the leader for adjustment but that doesn't improve things. Any help appreciated. Thanks. PS it's a Becker double weighted.

Attachments

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The Vienna's usually have beat adjusting screws near the top of the pendulum. If not, it probably has a friction fit crutch that you can move. It needs to go more toward the high side when you have it tilted to run in beat.

Reactions: wow and andrewmcl

wisty

Dec 24, 2014
Country
As shutterbug says, Vienna's usually have beat adjusters at the bottom of the crutch, close to the top of the pendulum. This is one of mine.
Vienna adjustment.jpg
Turning the knurled screw moves the pin that connects to the pendulum from side to side.

Reactions: wow and andrewmcl

andrewmcl

Jul 13, 2022
Country
I tried turning that knurled screw but it didn't do much. Are 2 full turns both directions the usual amount of play with it? If the clock is lifted to the left does the pin need to be across to that left side as well, to balance the beat when clock is straight?

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
If you have to tilt the case to get the clock in beat, the amount of adjustment you need will be more than you can get by just using the knurled adjuster. The knurled adjuster is for fine adjustment of the beat. You need to move the crutch on the anchor arbor to get it close to being in beat first. Then you use the knurled adjuster to fine tune the beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent