Double Fusee, can anyone help with the makers name? Approx Date?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by ClipClock, May 4, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ClipClock

ClipClock Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Run small business manufacturing equestrian sector
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    I picked up this double fusee at an auction and it finally arrived yesterday. I've googled and googled and just cannot find anything about the maker who is engraved on both the dial and backplate. Mathewes? Mathenes? Can anyone help? Also a rough estimate of its age would be great!

Sorry I cant show you a picture of it all together, when I took the bubble wrap off the movement and dial fell out (I caught it!). The seat board had collapsed and the two retaining straps had given up.....

Heres a few pics!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Thank you!

PS. The other clock I bought at the same time remains impenetrable at the moment, its door and bezel are locked and theres no key. I'm presently practising my lock picking skills :D

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice catch?

I think broadly regency, the hands suggest earlier but I don't think so. I would have thought somewhere around 1820s.The dial seems to suggest Mathewes, unusual name.

MartyR may find him in his trade directory listing, may just have retailed it.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Well, it is definitely Mathewes (that 'w' is the same style that catches people out on Hawina clocks, and I am old enough to have been taught to write like that!) but, like you, I cannot immediately find anything about him.

But it's a very nice clock - congratulations.

JTD

4. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Thanks! Well at least that clears up the name and approx date. I'm very pleased with it, it needs some work, not least a seatboard and back door, but for what I paid I'm very happy :)

Hopefully someone will be able to ID the maker (or retailer)

Finally got into the other clock (my lock picking skills have improved lol) which is really a gorgeous thing. Its got a broken fusee cable on the strike side, but I could see that in the auctioneers pictures so no surprise. That one has a gong which I'm assuming would make it a bit later? (Also a double fusee)

5. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    gongs were invented surprisingly early but their use in English clocks is generally later. Your first one has the knopped pillars and the engraved backplate, which are both signs of age, presumably you later one has neither of those.

Gongs seem to have taken off mid Victorian.

6. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Actually the other one has a similarly engraved back plate and knobbed pillars. The 'middle knobs' are bigger than the end knobs on that one. No name on the back plate or dial though which is a shame. Do they ever sign them on the front plate?

7. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think T&R put the number there. Sounds like it will still be mid 19th century so another good one. If you find a number for T&R it can be dated fairly accurately.

8. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Sadly nothing on the front plate, no name or numbers :( That one will forever remain a mystery!

9. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    especially mysterious as we didn't get a picture Sally.

10. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Ha ha, sorry. No pics of the case because its presently in a clamp getting a piece of brass inlay reattached! Also the bezel is off as I need to get some glass put in. Its a beautiful flame mahogany lancet case with brass inlay

Heres the movement though! It doesnt look like the broken gut has done any damage from what I can see (which isnt much lol)

Horrid bushing on the strike fusee arbor will have to go. And its a shame about the chisel (?) marks, but I'll do my best minimise them

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Tarant, that sounds possible!

12. LiamJ

LiamJ Registered User

Sep 25, 2011
    Laxey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Both lovely movements you have got there. I particularly like the engraved ones, such a beautiful feature to a fusee movement.

The case of your first clock by Mathews of Bristol looks like a 'Lancet Case' to me. Slightly more unusual from others I have seen which don't tend to step out at the bottom of the arch.

How big is the dial? The hands look like they should belong on a Longcase clock. Again if they are the originals it is a style I have not commonly come across on these.

I'd love to see a picture of your other fusee once it's out its clamp!!

13. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Liam, yes I'll post a pic of the other one, but it may be a little while, I mailed the bezel off today to get some glass made for it. Its much more the lancet style you'd expect, flat front, continuous smooth sloping sides etc. Its a big clock, its 50 inches tall.

The Mathews has an 8 inch dial. I'm not sure about the hands, its hard to say, but I agree that are a bit unusual. But I think they look quite nice and they seem to fit perfectly so I think I'll leave them.

I'm 99.9% sure the ring handles on the case are replacements, they feel very light and flimsy, I doubt they are even brass. I'll have to look for more appropriate replacements for them.

14. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those hands were used on silvered dial clocks and brass dialled bracket clocks. I would expect to see them on very early painted dial bracket clocks because they were used on very early painted dial longcase.

However I doubt they were in use by the time your clock was made.

50" ? That's a huge clock. 500mm is pretty normal for 18th century clocks it doesn't make them that easy to live with in modern homes.

I'm hoping to find something small to replace a carriage clock but small ones command high prices.

15. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Oops, that should have been 50 cm, not 50 inches!! Yeah that would have been a mighty big clock :D

16. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I did wonder!

50 cm seems pretty standard, my ebonised bracket is the same. They do take up quite a lot of space don't they? My little 1950s bungalow seems quite unsuited but I've never let that stop me!

17. LiamJ

LiamJ Registered User

Sep 25, 2011
    Laxey
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Brilliant I look forward to seeing it.

Wow 50" would have been big! The biggest Bracket Clock I have is 70cm tall which is huge!

I would completely agree about those side handles. Although they only serve as a decorative purpose much of the time they just don't seem to have any patina to them. They are slightly crude too. I'd suggest you take a look at Optimum Brasses website. They do wax casts of originals. They are quite reasonable and I have used them for furniture. You'll find something very suitable I'm sure.

Again I don't think the hands are correct. They do look really good however and seem to suite the clock. I'd suggest they've been there a little while too.

18. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Isn't this just the most beautiful thing, shame to shut it away in a clock case. But there is a big window in the door so I guess it'll be seen sometimes :) I make no apology for polishing it up, this movement was made to be seen and anyway I like them shiny! And its no good the eventual owner of this clock expecting it to mute/tarnish with age cos I lacquered it (Ha!)

It had a few problems aside from the broken gut (I replaced both sides with new). It had been WD40'd and was really glued up, took a lot of effort to get it off. It had a broken pin that rotates the snail and so I replaced that. Also one of the stops on one of the fusee's was bent out of shape and didnt stop you winding it so that's been sorted too. I tried to minimise that ugly bushing on the back plate and think it looks a little better now

With the case, on the other hand. I'm adopting a light touch :)

Now to give it a test run, hope I found all its little problems!

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    you have done a grand job. Bracket clocks are meant to be shiny.

20. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Thank you :) I'm happy to say the stop worked well this time when I wound it up and its ticking away with enthusiasm. Just need to check it strikes correctly and runs right to the end of the fusee gut now. The case is still a work in progress, waiting for the new glass to come back fitted to the bezel. And the new key to come. Needs a good waxing too

I notice that this movement is missing one of its restraining/holding straps and really think I need make a new one, it seems a little unsafe to only have two straps, when it was designed to have three. Only trouble is the straps are engraved so my new one wont look so good. It would be nice to get it engraved like the others but I've no idea where I could get it done. Although I've done some chasing and repousse in Silversmithing I havent ever tried engraving. Any ideas, it isnt a big amount of engraving that would need to be done?

21. ballistarius

ballistarius Registered User

Oct 26, 2009
    Architect
    Bilbao, Basque Country
    Region Flag:
    That movement looks perfect!:coolsign:
    Have you thought of hiring the services of a professional engraver? If nobody more qualified is available, there are always those people engraving names in sports trophies and the like...
    If I recall well, the pendulum bob was also engraved matching the back plate. Certainly a plain strap would look odd (Nothing impossible to live with, though:p)

Aitor

22. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't know, I'm having a new apron made for mine and decided against engraving.

I'm sure all the bracket clocks I look at only have two straps.

23. ClipClock

NAWCC Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Kent, UK
    Country Flag:
    Thank you Aitor, it was a lovely movement to work on :) yes maybe I need to look for a professional engraver if I decide I cant live with a plain strap.

Nick it looks to me like there were originally three, there are the threaded holes and impressions left on the plates. If you look at the pic of the backplate you'll see where the two existing ones go either side of the fusee arbors, then if you look up and to the left hand side you'll see where I think the 3rd went.

Edited to say, Aitor I polished and lacquered the pendulum too, it needed to match!