Help Double door cuckoo clock bird keeps going.

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by grayman, Sep 15, 2020 at 12:31 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. grayman

grayman Registered User

Aug 3, 2012
    I have been working on clocks for about nine years. This is the first double door cuckoo clock that I have worked on. It is a double door cuckoo clock with a Bachmaier & Klemmer movement. The gear behind the minute hand has 4 pins on the back. There is a lever that rides these pins and when it falls of the pin the bird starts cuckooing and won't stop until the lever is raised again and the door stays open. How often is the bird suppose to come out that is started by the pins? Is there suppose to be something else that stops the bird once it starts? I am talking about the bird that is control by the pins. The on the hour bird is control by a count wheel on the back of the movement. How is the bird suppose to work?

GEDC0091.JPG GEDC0097.JPG GEDC0099.JPG

2. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 9, 2006
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It's been a long time since I work on one. The quail sings once at a quarter, twice at half past and so on. You essentially have two count wheels. The lever for the right count wheel in your picture should be in a deep notch for the bird sound to stop. Look for a stop wheel pin that interacts and is timed with the lever.

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes. The pins you mention control the quail. His part of the strike should stop when the lever in the bottom right of your first pic falls into the slots. In the pics it doesn't look like it's even touching the cam. Might be an optical illusion though.

4. grayman

grayman Registered User

Aug 3, 2012
    Yes, the lever is not in the slot because I have to raise the lever behind the minute wheel to stop the bird from cuckooing. When it stops the whole operation stops. So it looks like I am going to remove the movement from the clock cabinet to see what is going on. Thanks for the info, Grayman.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think that lever is the communication between the two trains. It tells the other side when it's time for the cuckoo to start.