Donn Lathrop & The Ipswich Tower Clock

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by jjsantos, Jan 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jjsantos

jjsantos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    The Ipswich Massachusetts First Church, founded 1634, contacted me about six months ago. They had found out that in mid 2017 I started caretaking a tower clock in nearby Newburyport Massachusetts (an E Howard #2, delivered 1895). Their question was simple: we have this huge rebuilt tower clock in our church office, and we don't know what to do with it! I was a relative novice, having only recently caught the tower clock bug, but gladly took the 30 minute ride down to check it out.

WOW. A 1762 clock, made in England, delivered by ship to Ipswich, probably maker John Hawting of Oxford. But even more interesting is that the reason it was sitting in their office corridor was through the efforts of Donn Lathrop; he had passed away just a short time before. Donn rebuilt the clock and clock face, putting it in a modern 2x4 frame, using the salvaged parts (the clock had been damaged in a fire) while also keeping some of the fire damaged parts for storage. He also electrified the final assembly for operation.

The placement and location of the clock was an inconvenience. I suggested ensuring it was put on permanent display at the local history museum, or consider the Grafton Mass Willard House museum, or even the Smithsonian. Alas, and sadly, it as been taken apart and is now stored in their basement.

This week they sent me Donn's writeup and "instruction manual" for the rebuilt clock, which I share with all of you here... I think you'll find it fascinating.

Cheers
    Jack

Attached Files:

Paul M and Jim DuBois like this.
  2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    he had a thread about it on here. I took pics of a signed hawting for him

3. jjsantos

jjsantos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thanks! I should have searched. That garage door rewinder was ingenious!

Well, this PDF provides a nice recap and summary of Donn's work. Disappointing that they didn't mount and highlight the clock the way he expected...

4. bptanguay

bptanguay Registered User

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    #4 bptanguay, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    I visited Donn as he was just completing the restoration. So sad it's not being displayed. I have a local Historical Society that would be so happy to accept it and display it next to our E. Howard Tower clock. Visitors enjoy the opportunity to see it up close.

5. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    IMG_20160829_113050450 (721x1280).jpg IMG_20160829_113007324 (1280x721).jpg Donn Lothrop back in August of 2016 upon completion of his work.

Paul M likes this.
  6. jjsantos

jjsantos Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 7, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Great pics!
    I’ll private message the contact info I have. Local historical society where?
    Jack

7. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    We are located in Central MASS. Templeton to be exact. We have the tower clock, with the hopes of another one on the way, and 5 tall clocks along with several wall clocks and a time clock, so it's becoming a very nice collection of timekeepers. We plan on installing the tower clock inside, I restored it 5 years ago, I'm just waiting for the building to be finished.

8. bptanguay

Apr 5, 2012
    Watchmaker
    Massachusetts
    Country Flag:
    Our local Historical Society is preparing to move the Ipswich clock into our building in the next few weeks. We are excited to be able to share this tower clock movement with our visitors. Currently our "Grange Hall" building is under construction, so any interested visitor who stops by in Templeton Ma, can request a private tour to see the Hawting clock and the E. Howard clock in the hall. All other timekeepers are in the main building located at 1 Boynton Rd. If you plan a visit or are passing through, contact us ahead of time and we'll do what we can to help you gain access to this amazing collection of timekeepers, not to mention the vast collection of Civil War artifacts, Art, and vintage items dating back to 1620. nh1924society@gmail.com

PatH likes this.