Does This Seem Reasonable?

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I found this neat old French clock at a local antique store. It came with "the original bill of sale". I'm not doubting the date of the sale, but do you feel that this clock could be a match for it? That would be too cool! It will need some work. Right now the anchor doesn't even touch the escape wheel (too far back). IMG_5122.JPG IMG_5124.JPG IMG_5120.JPG IMG_5121.JPG

Last edited:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I'm not doubting the date of the sale, but do you feel that this clock could be a match for it?
Shutt,

The receipt is not for the clock you show.

Made in France on the movement but no country of origin on the dial indicates the clock was made between 1891 and 1909. The receipt is dated 1877.

Regards.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi Shutterbug, can You provide a closer pic of the S Marti stamp, N.thorpe has different stamps of S. Marti from different exhibitions in his "French Marble Clock" book.
Burkhard

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I found this neat old French clock at a local antique store. It came with "the original bill of sale". I'm not doubting the date of the sale, but do you feel that this clock could be a match for it? That would be too cool! It will need some work. Right now the anchor doesn't even touch the escape wheel (too far back). View attachment 647122 View attachment 647123 View attachment 647120 View attachment 647121
Well, one fly in the ointment is the following on the movement's back plate:

round top clock.JPG

That is not the name on the BOS.

Now, could it originally have been sold by J.E. Caldwell and sold 2nd hand by the other firm? I doubt it. As pointed out, the "Made in France" designation would tend to indicate a date later than 1877?

The absence of some designation of the country of origin or retailer on the dial doesn't bother me as much as they were not always "fired" into the porcelain and were often cleaned or worn off.

RM

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
As pointed out, the "Made in France" designation would tend to indicate a date later than 1877?
Country of origin on the movement indicates a "not earlier than" date of 1891.

Country of origin on the dial is post-1908.

Shutt's clock is therefore between 1891 and 1909.

Regards.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Country of origin on the movement indicates a "not earlier than" date of 1891.

Country of origin on the dial is post-1908.

Shutt's clock is therefore between 1891 and 1909.

Regards.
Ok.

Sort of said the same thing?

Just commented on why sometimes inscriptions might be missing from dial.

Relax. No one was doubting what you said.

RM

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
FWIW, I also would not call this clock a round top.

Reactions: JTD

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
FWIW, I also would not call this clock a round top.
Yes, I would think it's for something like this:

Or what $7.00 could buy in 1877 (with a warranty). Those with Tran's books have some prices at hand.
Phineas Fries sounds like something that would go with a cheeseburger.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Phineas must have been a secondary retailer.
This could be true if the paperwork referred to the clock, but the paperwork does not refer to the clock. The date of the paperwork and the earliest possible date of the clock do match-up.

J. E. Caldwell was a prestigious Philadelphia jeweler for many years. They contracted to sell the clocks of the best German, English and French clockmakers.

Regards.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The receipt may not be written well, but it does say eight day round top clock warranted.
The receipt is dated 1877. Shutterbug's clock was made no earlier than 1891.

The Tariff Act of 1890 (a U.S. law), commonly known as the McKinley Tariff Act, was effective March, 1891 and required articles of import into the U.S. to be marked, in English, with Country of Origin. Specific to clocks, the marking was required on the movement.

Either "Made in [Country of Origin]" or just the name of country of origin (without the "Made in") was acceptable.

The 1909 Tariff Act required the Country of Origin on the clock dials. Again, either "Made in [Country of Origin]" or just the name of country of origin (without the "Made in") was acceptable.

Regards.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
The date on the bottom of the trademark appears to be 1889. I'm not sure if that's a trademark date or the date of manufacturer. The escapement upon closer inspection looks to be pin pallet, and the time mainspring is broken. The dial is a bit too worn to be porcelain, but I'm not sure about that part.
The "round top" description also puzzled me. I thought it might be because of the round movement.
But I just had a gut feeling that the receipt couldn't really be for this clock, as advertised. But it's still a cool "freeby" . The store had this one marked at $200.00. I offered them $150.00 and they took it. I'm happy with that, and look forward to having this in my "running" collection. Love the mercury dial. The mercury alone is worth most of the price :D
Here's a better pic of the trademark. I took it hand held without a macro, but I think it's clear enough. IMG_5127.JPG IMG_5126.JPG
You can see the "Made in France" stamp better in the 2nd pic, without the flash.

Last edited:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
The date on the bottom of the trademark appears to be 1889. I'm not sure if that's a trademark date or the date of manufacturer.
That date represents the year an award was won. I believe I see the French word for "Medal" or "Medallion" within the circle. But this does not mean the clock was made in that year. The award stamp could have been utilized until Marti went out of business in first quarter of the 1900s.

Again, your clock was made no earlier than 1891and no later than 1909.

Regards.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
It is a silver medal awarded in 1889, a gold medal was awarded the following year so it is reasonable to assume it was likely this stamp was not in use for long.

It is a nice four glass clock which should clean up nicely.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I appreciate the information, guys! I'm excited to get it serviced and running. It might be a while though. Work is building up in the shop :)
Do you guys think the metal parts of the case are brass? They have a more copper look .... but there's a lot of crud on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre