Does the dial need to be completely stripped prior to resilvering?

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by woodlawndon, Mar 17, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wish to resilver my first dial and I'd like to start with this Vedette. I have done quite a bit of reading and watching videos so I think I'm comfortable with the resilvering process.

However, the numbers and chapter ring on this dial, which I presume are silk screened, are in good shape and I'd rather not sand them off if possible. Is it possible to only partially remove the existing surface or am I asking for trouble.

If I must remove everything, would the best route be to use water transfer decals for renumbering? Thanks for any advice.
    Don

fullsizeoutput_424.jpeg

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Silvering is a displacement reaction, where copper ions are replaced by silver ions, effectively converting the surface of the dial to silver. In the original English method this is done by rubbing silver chloride against a prepared dial as a paste where the water aids the mobility of the ions.

French silvering is similar, but includes fine powderered silver in the mix which is said to give a softer look.

Both require the dial to be cleaned and active, usually done by preparing with an abrasive paper now. Engraved dials are waxed first before preparation and silvering.

I'm not sure how your dial was silvered, it would need to be brass or copper for either of these two systems to work and the printing would come later.

3. woodlawndon

woodlawndon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2017
    Male
    Woodlawn, Ontario
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #3 woodlawndon, Mar 17, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
    Thanks Nick. It looks like this dial has brass over tin. Guess I need to remove everything first.
    Don

4. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    to me it does not look the same process, but I'm not familiar with modern methods. could it be plated? Even if not the same youcould certainly silver it if you get it back to bare copper, and you could photograph the existing dial to make a water transfer. You may need to do a bit of photoshop to get the dial how you want it.

woodlawndon likes this.
  5. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here Look at this.