Does anyone recognize this punch mark?

Audemars

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset, UK
www.audemars.co.uk
Country
Region
Acorrespondent has sent me some photographs of a Louis Audemars minute repeater. This punch mark is on the pendant ring of an otherwise fairly anonymous case. Has anyone any idea whose mark it is?
13323 - AV punch mark.jpg

Paul

Audemars

NAWCC Member
Aug 6, 2010
Somerset, UK
www.audemars.co.uk
Country
Region
Don't know if this helps.
Sorry, I don't think they do really.

The movement of the watch was 99% certainly sold during the 1885 bankruptcy and liquidation process. As far as I am aware there are no marks on the case to identify it as having been made while Louis Audemars & Cie was still operating. The entry of that serial number is unclear whether it was cased or not.

BUT there is an "S" on the cuvette which was their way of indicating their "Superior" quality, so the case was made by someone who knew the ways of the original company.

The case, the movement and the dial are all signed "Ls Audemars Brassus & Geneva". The English spelling of Geneva adds a new dimension to the puzzle.

We know that my great-grandfather - Louis Audemars-Valette - bought a large number of movements and watches during the run-up to the failure, with a view to finishing them at his own expense to try to save the doomed company. I wonder if this is one of his efforts, but it doesn't explain the English spelling.

Paul

tick talk

Sep 16, 2008
Country
The pendant ring is a wear item and can be replaced during the life of a watch, so I'm wondering if/why a movement manufacturer would mark that part. Perhaps more related to the case maker?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Billraffy
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller