Does anyone recognise this maker's mark - German?

gryphonoz

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Country
Region
Hi, This mark is on a fairly good quality German wall clock movement, with the number 1078. No other marks visible and this one is not in the Trademarks books. If anyone knows what it is, or has seen it before, please let me know :)

View attachment 298443

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Per this website, it is the trademark of Wanduhrenfabrik Angenstein, in Angenstein, Switzerland. It was registered October 4, 1899. Per Mikrolisk, they made wall clocks, clock movements, and pendulums. More than that I honestly do not know. I will try to load the picture once again. Those that show up as in your post have a habit of disappearing.

Regulator-trade-mark.jpg

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Greetings Gryphonoz,

Angenstein-clocks are quite rare and we don't know much about this maker. Most likely Angenstein was the branch of a German factory in Angenstein near Basel (Switzerland) About 1912 the name changed in Hassig & Co.

Could you please post some more pics of your movement (both sides and including the anchor) and the gongholder. Thanks in advance!

Cloxx

Last edited by a moderator:

gryphonoz

NAWCC Member
Apr 4, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Country
Region
Thank you Steven and Cloxx. Most valuable information - I had no idea it was Swiss. I have attached photos, hopefully of what was requested (ignore the suspension, that was something thrown together to see if the clock would run - it does but weakly for a few minutes). It appears the clock had been dropped and the gong holder damaged and poorly repaired - I have just rectified all that. The movement seems to have survived but the dial did not. The case has had a hard life and is on the to-do list. In the meantime here is the only other WA clock I have discovered on the web - but mine has the standard German wall clock case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amsc1QA2J0w

WA_gong_block_base_restored.jpg WA_gong_block_restored-sm.jpg WA_gong-block-before-sm.jpg WA_movt_anchor-sm.jpg WA_movt_front-sm.jpg WA_movt_left-sm.jpg WA_movt_right-sm.jpg WA_movt_top-sm.jpg WA_movt-back-sm.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Although Wanduhrenfabrik Angenstein is a Swiss company, the movement may well be German (it certainly has that appearance) and may have been purchased by Wanduhrenfabrik Angenstein and marked with their logo. Note, too, Cloxx's statement that "Most likely Angenstein was the branch of a German factory in Angenstein."

Albra

Deceased
Oct 17, 2006
Well, we do not know whether Angenstein was the branch of a German operation, but we know that the founders were Germans. But they had great difficulties in Switzerland, sold the operation and went back to Germany.

Gryphonoz, thanks for the pictures!

The gong and movement-holder of your clock is very interesting. It was developed by the German founder and patented in 1905. So we can assume your clock was made 1905-1911, since in 1911 the logo was changed.

And I agree with Steven: Your movement really looks very German! Most likely Angenstein used related German movements in their clocks.

Cloxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danarog
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner