Does anyone know what kind of hands are these and where to find one?

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by jrue, Apr 3, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. jrue

jrue New Member

Apr 3, 2017
    first post. ive been looking for these sets of hands as mine are bent and missing original lume. i'm not even sure what they're called (sword hands maybe?). also.. can bent hands be straightened out or should i just look for a replacement? thanks for all the help!

View attachment 338896 View attachment 338897

2. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Welcome to the forum.

Hands can be straightened but it depends on a) how bent they are and b) what result you are looking for.
    The watch in your picture does not look hard to fix, actually I can't even see the bends.

I have no idea about your experience with watchmaking but if you are a beginner I would recommend you take the watch to a watchmaker to get the hands sorted out. He should also be able to polish the hands and to replace the lumination.

3. karlmansson

karlmansson Registered User

Apr 20, 2013
    Not sure if the ones in the pictures are the ones you have or if you are showing the type you are looking for.

I believe the style is called "baton", or more specifically "luminous baton". The seconds hand is normally separate from hour and minute and you would have to look for it separately. Unless you manage to find a maker or movement specific set.

Best of luck!
    Karl

4. karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
    Cousins UK sells these as singles or paired as "Luminous, Swiss" in different variations. Have a look at their watch hands section. The orange lume is going to be hard to find though.

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Watchlume.com has the orange lume.

6. karlmansson

Apr 20, 2013
    Cool! Good to know. I meant that finding those hands with orange lume is going to be hard though. Re-luming is tricky business if you're a rookie.

7. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User

Apr 11, 2002
    Yes it is tricky to re lume a watch hand, i would say its a art. I have tried a few, different results.

8. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    #8 Skutt50, Apr 4, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    Kevin, which part do you find trickey?
    I can recommend Bergeon 5680 superluminova kit.
    I use it all the time and it is hard not to get a good result!
    I just mix luminova powder with some adhesive and smear out on the back of the watch hand with an oiler....... The only time I failed I had the mixture to thin....
    As for color it is hard to say what the paint looked at when new. I find that it often change with time.