Does anyone have an idea if this is real and if so, its age?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Hank Grimmick, Aug 11, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hank Grimmick

Hank Grimmick Registered User

May 29, 2003
    Just finished getting this watch running. Unlike the other Walthams, I can find no serial number. It appears that the movement is SGT 140-1A E4, but I have no idea who might have made that movement. Since it is 17j, I guess that means no older than 1950s (?), but since it says incabloc on the dial, that implies no newer than 1970s? Of course, that assumes the dial is original. It is in excellent shape, as is the movement.

Any ideas:???:

Thanks,

Hank

Waltham?

2. Hank Grimmick

May 29, 2003
    Just finished getting this watch running. Unlike the other Walthams, I can find no serial number. It appears that the movement is SGT 140-1A E4, but I have no idea who might have made that movement. Since it is 17j, I guess that means no older than 1950s (?), but since it says incabloc on the dial, that implies no newer than 1970s? Of course, that assumes the dial is original. It is in excellent shape, as is the movement.

Any ideas:???:

Thanks,

Hank

Waltham?

3. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hank,

That's Swiss.

Doug

4. Hi Hank,
    Congrats on getting the watch up and running again.
    As to the age of watch it is important to remember that the Waltham Watch Co., as an American company, went out of business no later than 1957 and was in its death throes prior to that. The name (and that was about all that was usuable) was bought by Swiss interests who used it on watches built in Switzerland. This sounds to me the type of watch you have. Does it have a red, stylized "W" on the dial and a red tipped sweep seconds hand? These are dead giveaways to its Swiss origins.
    If the above is true, dating the watch is based more on style than anything else. Is the watch round and thin with a simple metal dial? If so than late 50s into the 60s. Big and "clunky"? Than 70s-80s.
    That it is an Incabloc movement further indicates its Swiss origins as American Walthams never, to my knowledge, had this feature.
    Enjoy the watch.
    Timely Regards,
    ww

5. Hank Grimmick

May 29, 2003
    To all,

Thanks again for helping to build my meager knowledge. I wish there had been a website like this for life in general. I wouldn't have made anywhere near as many mistakes growing up and growing old. ;)

There is no stylized W on this dial, although I have another that does have the stylized W on the dial. I am guessing that this dial has been refinished, but very well done. At the bottome of the dial (had I only looked!!) it does say "Swiss Made". The sweep second hand is red-tipped.

To paraphrase a line from Butch Cassidy; "You guys are good!"

Thanks again and again.

Hank

6. William Childers

William Childers Registered User

Jul 2, 2011
    Funny you should mention this watch movement as I have 2 of them in front of me getting them ready to sell. The research I did told me that these particular Walthams were distributed by the Waltham Chicago distribution company, manufactured by the SGT Group between the late Fifties - Seventies and were termed Waltham "Royal" Wristwatch. The movement is without a serial number but is marked SGT 140-1A, E4. These 2 happen to be identical with the exception of the back case text. I am going to post a couple of photos with this so perhaps it will help others. Billy IMG_7812A1a.jpg

7. Roland Ranfft

Roland Ranfft Registered User

Feb 10, 2011
    electronic engineering, software
    Wildenrath, Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Hank,

your watch is a typical child of the beginning quartz crisis. In the 70s Waltham belonged to the Societé des Gardetemps SA - therfore the according Swiss signature "SGT". But the movement is an economically manufactured French FE 140-1A:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?00&ranfft&a&2uswk&FE_140_1A

American brand, French movement, organized by a Swiss group - a method which made the SGT ranking third among the Swiss watchmaking groups in the 70s.

Regards, Roland Ranfft