Do you wear them everyday?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Marty Rougeaux, Feb 28, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. I'm interested in why you collect WW's. Do you wear them everyday? Are they carefully wrapped and put in the safe, only to be taken out for viewing by special friends and other WIS's. How do you collect? Is it by brand, all Swiss, all US, complications? Or is it even broader - anything that appeals to you? Marty

2. I'm interested in why you collect WW's. Do you wear them everyday? Are they carefully wrapped and put in the safe, only to be taken out for viewing by special friends and other WIS's. How do you collect? Is it by brand, all Swiss, all US, complications? Or is it even broader - anything that appeals to you? Marty

3. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    Marty: I used to have quite a few watches but I've sold them off over the years. I have a big old Navy safe in my garage that I keep
    them in, so I'll go out there and pick out one to wear for that day. I like steel cases
    because they look nice and wear forever.
    I was really on a military watch kick for awhile and scored a Benrus Type II auto which
    is the ultimate trip in that genre. But I traded it to my brother for an IWC 60's automatic because I've always wanted one.
    Believe it or not, I like to wear a 30's
    gold filled Gruen w/7j in a gold filled case.
    It looks like a Rolex Prince, and keeps perfect time. I have a couple of LeCoultres
    including one that my mom bought my dad in
    1953. I really like LeCoultres and have had
    many. Another of my favorites is a beautiful
    rose gold filled Robert Cart Auto from the
    40's. It's a thumper AS 1150? Robert Cart made $2000 watches in the 20's and 30's, and most people don't know the brand.

4. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Registered User

Nov 29, 2000
    Manager of Engineering Programs
    Washington state
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My collection consists of a combination of styles, brands and "types", all of which are suitable for everyday use (except the pocket watches).

I have a glass shelf above my dresser and three display stands on top of the dresser. Between those two spaces, my 40 most actively worn mechanical watches are displayed. These are the watches I wind and check/set every day, without fail. I also wind my pocket watches every day. Winding these 50 watches every day is one of the ways I unwind from a hard day and get ready for bed.

I also have a rotating display case that holds another 45 that I occasionally select from when I'm in the mood. I wind these up once every week or two. Drives my wife crazy when I wind these too.

My 30 quartz, electrics and L.E.D. watches are on a Citizen watch board that has been adapted to hang on the wall in my office. When I require accuracy I "go to the board". I don't tend to wear these very often, because (to be frank) quartz watches bore me.

In the guest bedroom I have a two-shelf Bulova display case where I've created a sort of watch diarama with stuffed animals and other props. Mostly, the things I put in this display are in need of servicing, or are of little or no real value (i.e. Westclox pocket watches). I never wind or wear the watches in this case... they are for display only.

One of the small pleasures I get from life is being unpredictable with regard to which watch I will wear on any given day. I never wear the same watch two days in a row. In fact, I almost never wear the same watch twice in a month.

Mind you, I do have my favorites. But when it comes to what I wear, the favorites get very little more wear than the others. They are all favorites in one way or another. Some because of how they look, some because of what they are, some because of how accurate they are, and some for reasons I cannot adequately explain.

------------------
    Regards,

- Greg

5. Greg Davis, Thanks for that. I would really like to see your collection someday. I am, however, surprised that your wife is still around. What with all that watch-winding that you do everyday. Regards, Marty

[This message has been edited by Marty Rougeaux (edited 03-03-2001).]

6. Steve M. In another post I belive you said your everyday watch is a Rolex Datejust, circa 1976. Quite surprisingly, I also consider this my reliable, everyday watch. I bought it - SS, datejust, jubilee bracelet in "75-78." At the time I paid $1,000 retail. It has been very durable, attractive and has proven to be worth the money. I stopped wearing it for about 2 years until I read a post on TZ about a rolex wearer that refreshed his watch by changing bands. Great idea. I put a high quality leather band on and it's a new watch.
    I have about 85 ww's and I try to wear different ones but the really old ones are too fragile and I wear them only on special occasions. (of course, unless another watch person is present I'm the only one that knows.) Although I have in my collection representation from most of the greats, I have some strange propensity for Gubelin. I have 5 and am still looking. There is some mystique here for me. I am interested in any information re this brand that any of you can provide. Of course I know the basic history but would like detailed info such as "Gubelin-matic." Was this a basic Eterna, provided for them in the 50's? Thanks to all for sharing the interesting information. Marty

[This message has been edited by Marty Rougeaux (edited 03-03-2001).]

7. Dave H. Robert Cart? yes, I am interested. What do you know about the history? I have 2 old Paul Ditisheim's from the 30's-40's that were quite expensive during this period because most of his stuff was platinum, 18k and diamonds. Is Cart on those lines? Thanks for the info. Marty

8. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Male
    Track & cross Country Coach
    Indiana PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm not sure exactly how many ww's that I have now, probably in the number of 150. I have gotten remarks at work that I never wear the same watch twice, whcih really isn't correct. My two favorite watches for dress are my Rolex SS datejust, and my gold, round, automatic Omega. For dress, I also wear a Gold round Jules Jergenson, and a gold Lecoltre alarm watch. For everyday, I try to stick with a watch that is not too fragile, ie one with shock and water resistance. One of my favorites is a ss, automatic Wittnaur.

Interesting to compare with the post above. I also try to wind my watches periodically, and display them in a manner similar to what Greg stated above. It also drove my wife up the fence. The difference is that she is no longer part of the picture, and Now I can wind my watches anytime I want to do so.

Tom

9. Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
    Marty: It is my understanding, that
    Robert Cart made unusual, solid gold
    chronoscopes, digital watches. I found
    a nice Robert Cart stainless 40's watch
    one time in a $1 fixer upper pile at a local mart. It sold for $200 after I restaffed it.
    Ditisheim watches were more of a baguette
    style, very nice and in Platinum. I once
    passed on a Platinum watch for $35, because
    I didn't know that "Irid." was iridium, a form of platinum.
    Ditisheim, I guess the whole family, were very famous and important people in watch history.

10. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chuck,

I was always under the impression that platinum, palladium, iridium, ruthenium, osmium, and rhodium were part of a "family" if you like of platinum metals. I believe they are usually found together and must be refined into their constituent elements. Iridium is alloyed with both platinum and palladium for use in jewellery.

Regards,
    Doug S.

------------------

11. Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
    thanks, Doug. To which I add:
    "Iridium- A white metal of the platinum group
    used in the jewelry trade for alloying platinum to give the latter metal greater hardness and resistance to wear." from
    Encylopedia of Jewelry Information

That watch was valued at over $1000, 10 years ago.

12. Part of the confusion about platinum and iridium is due to the somewhat ambiguous markings that are used on jewelry. For example, I have seen a number of platinum pieces that were only marked:

10% Iridium.

This odd mark is for an alloy of 90% platinum, and 10% Iridium.
    Someone has published a book on platinum markings - I've seen it on ebay if any of you are interested.

Larry

13. Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
    It's obvious that what I saw was a marking
    of a percentage of Iridium as described above
    by Larry. And now I know that it was really
    Platinum and Iridium. It was still a nice watch, a baguette style with jems at the hours and I should have bought it.

I heard a piece on the radio that was describing fragments of a very large
    impact meteor that was made of iridium.
    It's everywhere ahhhhhhhh.....