• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Do you guys like this little gem ?

premc121

NAWCC Member
Jan 30, 2010
Victoria B.C.
www.primetimecanada.com
Country
Region
A.F.W.
very sweet time piece.
fyi- I grew up in a little village next to Neuchatel, Switzerland. The village is called Peseux. The movement-Peseux, as you all may be aware of, made some inexorably lovely time pieces with similar design to this movement as well. Some of the cleanest watches during the 1960's possessed the same typical mechanics.
P.320 and P.7000 were in my opinion, some of the classiest of mechanical movements.
Please try and post the picture of the movement, i'd be highly obliged, and thrilled..!!
Best regards from Victoria B.C.
Prem C.

MFRC1956

Dec 9, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Country
Region
Nice!

Ouah! Someone slipped with a tool when they opened the can.
Would have been perfect without it, pity.

/Michael

A.F.W.

May 11, 2005
Country
Nice!

Ouah! Someone slipped with a tool when they opened the can.
Would have been perfect without it, pity.

/Michael
Well, things happen. It does not bother me that much. When you look at an old painting you do not expect perfection... Often some paint is missing too :)

premc121

NAWCC Member
Jan 30, 2010
Victoria B.C.
www.primetimecanada.com
Country
Region
Exceptional!! Cheers A.F.W.:cool:
Sweet simple movement- to note, that a lot of man-hours has gone into the watch movement itself. All the bridges have anglage, personalized jewels, adjustments to the balance- takes a while to do controls on these- I had a similar movement repair not so long ago. The beat error was un-adjustable, so I had to satisfy myself with superlative timing.
Eventually, the client was v.happy with it as well, ;)
Cheers again, Thrilled of course!
Prem C.

A.F.W.

May 11, 2005
Country
Exceptional!! Cheers A.F.W.:cool:
Sweet simple movement- to note, that a lot of man-hours has gone into the watch movement itself. All the bridges have anglage, personalized jewels, adjustments to the balance- takes a while to do controls on these- I had a similar movement repair not so long ago. The beat error was un-adjustable, so I had to satisfy myself with superlative timing.
Eventually, the client was v.happy with it as well, ;)
Cheers again, Thrilled of course!
Prem C.
I have seen hundreds and hundreds of movements from late 1800s to present.
When you look at a movement such as this one you know you are looking at a masterpiece. The finishing alone is incredible.

mike184

Feb 11, 2010
Country
Region
Congrats!

A very nice watch and an outstanding perfect movement - just nice to see, thanx for sharing.

A.F.W.

May 11, 2005
Country
Thanks.
I remember the first Patek I bought some 17 years ago.
It was rectangular gold case with hooded lugs. I paid a whole $180 for it :)
It was probably older than this one and the movement was not as nice as this one.

premc121

NAWCC Member
Jan 30, 2010
Victoria B.C.
www.primetimecanada.com
Country
Region
A.F.W.
Yes, the finishing aspect is the defining factor between run of the mill brands, and truly great watch brands. In this case, Patek wins hands down. These days, it is extremely difficult to tell which brands run finishing processes on CNC machines or by watchmakeing skills.
Apropos finishing, I have Giulio Papi's (Technical Director- APRP- which is the high-end complication division of Audemars Piguet) book called the 'High-end Horological finishing and decoration'- since Giulio and me are good friends, I decided to promote the book and it's subject on-line in America when I moved here in 2008. So far I have had a few sales, and I have managed to donate some books to the upcoming Technicum CMW21 course offered by them, and their tutors- this last so they can better explain this subject to their respective students.
I have also a great need to tell you A.F.W. that should you desire, I will happily mail this item to you at no charge at all- I just need your postal address/ and you can e-mail this to me privately:)
It will be a pleasure to have this sent out to you, so you can appreciate the absolute truth about high-end finishing. I will let the book do the talking, as although I have visited the impressive APRP on many occasions, I still have a thirst for knowing more about high-end finishing techniques.
Cheers and have a great day A.F.W.
Prem C.

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
Wonderful piece, classic 10-200 and very, very rare in steel. Regarding the finish; I believe that it is quite nice for a Swiss watch, but it is nowhere near as nice as US made movements prior to the 30s. The Waltham Jewel series wrist movements had nickel plates, gold jewel settings, split compensated balances and damaskeening. Their little Riverside 21Js were even better. All standard. This of course was gone for the most part by the time this Patek was made and probably a good Gruen or Hamilton was the only thing close. The design of these is what is wonderful with only IWC watches having a similar classic design. If I could own a Patek, I would prefer it in steel. Thanks for the look.

I also think that Pesaux made some of the best ebauche in the world.

A.F.W.

May 11, 2005
Country
Thank you.
Please post some pics. of the early American wrist watch movements that are better than this one.

premc121

NAWCC Member
Jan 30, 2010
Victoria B.C.
www.primetimecanada.com
Country
Region
A.F.W.
The Audemars Piguet book, is on it's way to you!:D
b rgds from us here on Vancouver island,
Prem C.

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
I'm not saying it is a better movement, I'm saying the American ones are finished better. Here is a bad scan of a medium priced Illinois gents watch from the 20s. Note the jewel settings, damaskeening, cut balance, etc. This unit is a Volkswagen compared to say a Riverside Maximus which had faceted diamond cap stones on the escape wheel and balance. Believe me the Waltham 0s,3/0s wrist watches in the higher grades were better finished.

http://home.pacbell.net/hedgehog/illinois.jpg

A.F.W.

May 11, 2005
Country
A.F.W.
The Audemars Piguet book, is on it's way to you!:D
b rgds from us here on Vancouver island,
Prem C.[/QUOTE

Thanks Prem :)
-> posts merged by system <-
I'm not saying it is a better movement, I'm saying the American ones are finished better. Here is a bad scan of a medium priced Illinois gents watch from the 20s. Note the jewel settings, damaskeening, cut balance, etc. This unit is a Volkswagen compared to say a Riverside Maximus which had faceted diamond cap stones on the escape wheel and balance. Believe me the Waltham 0s,3/0s wrist watches in the higher grades were better finished.

https://mb.nawcc.org/
Thanks but I thought you were going to post a pic. of an American wrist watch movement...

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
I think Dave was referring to movements like these...
https://mb.nawcc.org/picture.php?albumid=75&pictureid=515
Waltham Riverside 3/0 size...

https://mb.nawcc.org/picture.php?albumid=75&pictureid=481
Hamilton 988 6/0 size...

https://mb.nawcc.org/picture.php?albumid=75&pictureid=363
Another Waltham 0 size...

https://mb.nawcc.org/picture.php?albumid=75&pictureid=385
Hamilton 985, before cleaning...

Granted, all of these are essentially small pocketwatch movements adapted for wristwatch use, and they all come from an era when inexpensive hand labor made superior finishing a marketing tool to set one companies movements apart from others.

And I'd still take the Patek over any of them, for looks or performance. But they are pretty...

Regards,

Cary

A.F.W.

May 11, 2005
Country
Thanks for posting the pics. These movements were highly decorated but the one by Patek is clearly superior in finishing. All the countersunk areas around the holes are very highly polished. So is the micro regulator and the bevels on all the plates.

jatco

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver BC
Country
Region
Congrats!
I like it Alot...!
A very nice, classic watch and an outstanding looking movement. Great to see it.
Many other excellent movements posted as well. Great craftmanship is hard to come by.
Thanx for sharing

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
Cary, the irony is that the prettiest (IMO) of the American movements that you posted, the Hamilton 985 (as well as its sister, the Hamilton 983) was unabashedly patterned after a Swiss design by C. H. Meylan!

Larry Treiman

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
ahhhhh yes....

The Swiss did some marvelous things and lead the field now.

But remember, it was the swiss who copied the techniques of the Americans in watchmaking especially machine age.

Eventually they overan our market with cheap swiss imports. Did they do it better than us? Or just cheaper?

The debate continues.

Jeff

Jeff Hess

Gold Business Member
Sep 3, 2000
Florida
www.ballwatchusa.com
Country
Region
I have held a similar watch, the 982M to swiss folks before. They always say that this one emulates "Geneva stripes". But americans were doing striped damaskeening back in the 1880's.

Ansomnia

Sep 11, 2005
Country
Region
I like the polishing on the bevels and the regulator's construction and finishing on the Patek better than on the other watches shown.

Michael

Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
It is just a matter of taste. The Americans developed repetitive tooling and produced parts that were cheap and identical, their watches could be made and adjusted with not much hand work. The Swiss at the same time made watches that required a bit more hand work and were not totally identical. This left the American companies with a margin that allowed the addition of the fancy finish work and gold jewel settings, even gold train wheels, which were nothing more that sales promotions. While the PP may have highly polished inlets for the jewels, they are just press fit jewels, not jewels in settings. Just as good, but not deluxe. All a moot point since the Swiss made up for their shortcomings and put all of us out of business with fine watches at low prices. Would I prefer the PP over a Riverside? In a heartbeat.

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mptha59
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit