Do I need both bushing systems?

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
I use the KWM system and have since I started repairing. For the first time, I encountered the need to replace a few bushings and they happened to be of the KWM persuasion which was very easy to pop out the old worn one and insert the new. I know that it is a matter of time before I'm faced with a worn Bergeon bushing but I have no tools for this system. Should I plan on buying into this system? What did you do?

Thanks, Vernon

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Need is probably not the word. But a few of both types is usually a good thing. Especially when you are replacing a formerly placed bushing.

Last edited:

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
What you guys have said makes perfect sense, I wouldn't need the reamers if I'm just replacing the bush itself! I guess that I'll wait then until the need arises. Thanks everyone

Sincerely, Vernon

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
The need will arise when you work on a clock where the hole has elongated to a point where a KWM bushing will not cover the edge of the hole but a Bergeon bushing will. And there are a few places where only the bigger Bergeon bushings will do what is necessary. For me, out of 100 bushings, maybe 2 or 3 would need (or be better) with a Bergeon size bushing. Willie X

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I have never used KWM bushings, the odd time a Bergon bush will not fit (when someone has been messing with the movement before) I just make a bush. For me this saves waiting time for the right! size bush to come and as most sell in packs of 10 (plus postage) the waist of money, you will probably never use the other 9.

kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Country
Region
I use the KWM system and have since I started repairing. For the first time, I encountered the need to replace a few bushings and they happened to be of the KWM persuasion which was very easy to pop out the old worn one and insert the new. I know that it is a matter of time before I'm faced with a worn Bergeon bushing but I have no tools for this system. Should I plan on buying into this system? What did you do?

Thanks, Vernon
I'd wait. I've had to replace a Bergeon bushing precisely once, so I just made one and riveted it in as was the traditional practice.

I've found that replacement bushings generally benefit from a touch of LocTite (the green penetrating stuff) so they won't fall out.

M Kinsler

TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member
Mar 22, 2005
Santa Rosa Calif.
www.weserviceallclocks.com
Country
Region
I have never used KWM bushings, the odd time a Bergon bush will not fit (when someone has been messing with the movement before) I just make a bush. For me this saves waiting time for the right! size bush to come and as most sell in packs of 10 (plus postage) the waist of money, you will probably never use the other 9.
I try to use the smallest O.D. possible.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
And there are a few places where only the bigger Bergeon bushings will do what is necessary.
Like maybe repair a bushing within a bushing that I did a time or two? (full discloser) ;)

Teaclocks, I believe in using the smallest size required as well. If I run across some used cutters at a fair price, I may get them just to have.

Jimmy/Kinsler: I can make the occasional bushing when needed so what you said makes sense.

Thanks for the replies, Vernon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SimondsSays7
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-