Do 8 day cuckoo clocks need more repairs

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by timepast, Dec 6, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    On 8 day cuckoo clocks, due to the heavy weights, do they have to be cleaned or rebushed more often? I`m thinking the chain gears bear a tremendous amount of weight and friction?

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I would say yes but it's mainly because they are used more. Most 1-Day cuckoos (today) are used only occasionally or not at all.
    The forces are about 6 times greater on the 8-Day but this is only for the chain wheel and associated parts in the lower end of the movement. Above the 1st wheels there is no difference between a
    8-Day and an 1-Day cuckoo.
    I do seem to do a lot more music box work on the 8-Day clocks.
    Willie X

3. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The only other point I'd add is that even with their heavier weights, 8-day cuckoos seem to have less power to their escapements than the 1-day variety, and that would make it tougher for a clock compromised by gummed oil to remain running.

I get music box troubles on the 8-day clocks as well, but my guess is that there are more 8-day music cuckoos than 1-day music cuckoos.

M Kinsler

and the water wheel,, and the jumping deer, and those poor little people condemned to dance eternally around and around and around...

4. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting. Would that for instance indicate that the only difference between a Regula 25 and a 34 would be the 1st wheels?

5. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    No. There are quite a few "associated parts", including the plates, that are made different to accommodate the larger/stronger
    8-Day chain-wheel.
    Willie X

6. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Still yes though as I have rarely bothered to try and bush the 1st wheels of a Regula 25. Yet I have rebushed the 1st wheels mainly on the Regula 34.

7. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Th
    The R34 8day movement has an extra gear in the both the time and strike trains. As a result the power getting to the fly and the pallets is only 1/8 that of the 1day unit approximately. The weights on the 8day movement are not 8 times as heavy however. In the end there is not the margin for wear in the 8day unit as the 1day unit.

8. timepast

timepast Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    Thanks all for the comments. I would hope the dancers and animated creatures on cuckoo clocks get a pension after a few years work

9. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Anyway, as I have pointed out. The regula 34 will wear out under the cuckoo and strike lifting wheel. The most difficult bush to fit on the whole clock.

10. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good information here. I've been watching both movements, (25 and 34), thinking I'd like to have an 8 day cuckoo to avoid the hastle of winding the 24 everyday. And since my 25 runs so efficiently, I assumed the Regula 34 was the best choice. And maybe it is. But sounds like the 34 wouldn't have the longevity of the 25.
    On the other hand, this is no major deal. I'm sure a new(er) 34 in good condition would run well for several years.

11. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Dave,
    On most clocks you don't get to choose which movement you like. You have to go with the one that fits. Not to mention what a smaller cuckoo clock will look like with those giant weights.
    Willie X

timepast likes this.
  12. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I understand. My post indicated movement only, but I was referring to the whole clock.

13. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Dave,
    Just pick the one you like ... They both have pros and cons and it's pretty much a crap shoot on how long they will last.
    Willie X

14. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    On the whole, I'd have repaired way more 25 clocks than the 34. I can assume more than one reason for this one of which is they go longer without need of servicing which would be evident by the fact that they need serious repairs when they come in. Fortunately, new movements are not terribly expensive and though you may need to use some old levers rather than try to get the right bends in the new ones, they are still fairly easy to fit. The important thing to remember is to order the same pendulum length. It is stamped on the lower right side of the backplate.

15. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It has been my experience that for every 34 you see for sale there are about 10 25s. Might account for why you work on more 25s.

Bujumon likes this.
  16. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The simple reason repair persons see more 1 day clocks than 8 day ones is that many more 1 day clocks were sold in the first place. The 1 day clocks are considerably less expensive and also have many more variations than the 8 day ones.

17. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I did say there was more than one reason. I did leave out the obvious one. Glad to see that you noticed.