DN & R Day, Westfield Mass. shelf clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Village iron bear, Jul 30, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Village iron bear

Village iron bear New Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Country Flag:
    View attachment 352042 I recently restored a very tall 30 hr. wood works clock. The label on the backboard said it was made by DN & R Day. It has a Terry type 30 hr. movement, but does not have any mention of Ely Terry on the label. I'm taking it to the cog counters picnic, and would like to know a little more about it. Thanks!

2. George Nelson

George Nelson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Retired
    Tennessee
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Village Iron Bear,

Welcome to the message boards!

Very interesting clock. Does the maker's name(s) happen to be an overpaste? Can you give us a better picture of the label?

The Spittlers and Baily book (Arlington Press) says this, but cite the maker as Day, D.D. (N.) & R.: "Westfield, MA. Circa 1830. Looking glass clock so labeled. Some with Masonic dials. Stenciled 30-hour shelf clocks."

I'm not sure, but yours could have had a mirror in the bottom, qualifying it as a looking glass clock.

Best,

George

3. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    interesting clock,please post more pics both of the case and the movement.BTW do You do Your restauration in an organ builder´s workshop? I can read :" The Orga....Reed " in the background.
    Best
    Burkhard