Dingwall Pocket watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by johnsonbrook, Sep 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. johnsonbrook

johnsonbrook Registered User

Sep 12, 2017
    I have a Dingwall pocket watch and would like to know the year it was made.
    it was manufactured by D.R .Dingwall Limited and is 21 jewels and the number that is stamped on the inside is 3822284
    it also says "ball model" in the back cover and the emblem BALCO gold filled and the number 3890978
    View attachment 356366 View attachment 356367 View attachment 356368

2. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 11, 2005
    Hello and welcome!
    Being a Swiss watch, I think this will do better in the European Pocket Watch section so I shall move it there.

3. johnsonbrook

Sep 12, 2017
  4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    It also has the number 1974-? under the balance on the pillar plate.

I believe that Balco was one of the last names used by the Ball sequence of companies. The 1974 most likely relates to the date of the watch.

Jeff Hess may know a bit more about the late Balls.

5. johnsonbrook

Sep 12, 2017
    that 1974 is actually 19.74 ??...so i dont know what that is?

6. Larry Treiman

Larry Treiman Registered User

Jan 18, 2009
    #6 Larry Treiman, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

Hi, Johnsonbrook,

The movement of your watch was made by the Longines Watch Company of St. Imier, Switzerland circa 1920 and is their model/calibre 19.71, often shown as 19/71. The 19 in the number indicates that it measures 19 lignes in diameter, which is the Swiss equivalent of American 16-size. As the markings indicate, it has 21 jewels and is adjusted, probably for temperature and positions. Longines also made a version of the 19.71 called the "Express Monarch" which was approved for time service use on the Canadian railways, and which would be lever-set.

It is a so-called "private label" movement made by Longines for Dingwall who, if memory serves, was a jeweler and railrway watch inspector located in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I suspect that your watch was not intended for railway service because it has a Roman-numeral 12-hour dial rather than the more typical 24-hour railway-style dial required for railway use at the time it was made. Also, I can't tell if it is lever-set, as required for railway use, but I suspect that it is stem-set, meaning that it is set in the more conventional way by pulling up the crown. Please confirm this detail.

As for the "Balco" (Trademark) Ball-model case, these cases were specially made in Canada for the Canadian Ball Watch Company and used on (American) Ball railroad watches for sale in Canada. It is unlikely that the Balco case is original to your Longines movement. I can make out at least one other case screw mark on the inside rim of the case, which indicates that the case once held a different make of watch, most likely a Ball. The Balco cases are desirable to collectors of Ball watches.

The Canadian government encouraged the use of Canadian-made cases on watches imported from the United States and overseas in order to protect the small Canadian watch case "industry" by imposing higher tariffs on the importation of complete, cased watches. That encouraged the importation of American and European watches as uncased movements,to be cased in Canada in Canadian made cases

Anyway, you have a nice, high-grade watch which although it may not be a railway-approved watch, is nonetheless of a similar level of quality. Enjoy!

Larry Treiman

7. johnsonbrook

Sep 12, 2017
    Thank you so very much Larry for the awesome information on my watch... I have looked at the inside of the back case where it has the BALCO insignia and it has some very small numbers etc... these are 7/2395 also 4.9.40. with a square with a period inside of the square... and also 21.11.40. and a square with a period inside of it... could you shed any light on these marking please Larry

8. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    If these are handmade marks, they represent the code for a service event. With rare exceptions the meaning of the codes is unknown.

9. johnsonbrook

Sep 12, 2017
    Thank you for your time and expertise Tom... :coolsign: