• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

American Difference between Grandfather and Grandmother clocks...

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Hello, and Happy New Year to all!! Can someone clarify for me the difference between a Grandfather and a grandmother clock?

Bob

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

I've heard many different theories, I don't know which is true, and to be honest it scarcely matters as the term "longcase" clock is more accurate and technical, at least in my humble opinion. The names "grandfather" and "grandmother" are merely affectionate, and are derived from the song "My Grandfather's clock". Some even speak of granddaughter clocks to complete the series, referring to significantly short floor-standing clocks. However, in relation to your question, the two most probable explanations to my knowledge is that there is a slight difference in size, the grandmother clock being smaller than the grandfather clock. What is more, grandmother clocks tend to be spring-driven and not weight-driven, whereas grandfather clocks are weight-driven. However, it can be argued that this rule isn't universal.

Regards.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
the term "longcase" clock is more accurate and technical, at least in my humble opinion. The names "grandfather" and "grandmother" are merely affectionate, and are derived from the song "My Grandfather's clock".
the two most probable explanations to my knowledge is that there is a slight difference in size, the grandmother clock being smaller than the grandfather clock.
Agree 100 percent. IMHO, a concise and accurate answer.

Will add that tall case is also appropriate, depending on which side of the Atlantic Ocean one resides. :)

Regards.

Reactions: Ticktocktime100

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
N. Hudson Moore (Chats on old clocks) was said to have been the first to coin the term "grandmother clock" for a grandfather/longcase/tallcase that was under 6 feet tall.
Dan
Edit to clarify (chats on old clocks) was by Arthur Hayden who I believe said this about N. Hudson Moore

Last edited:

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Thanks to all!! All replies are generally the opinion I had formed in my own mind...Was looking for a little clarity/confirmation.
Again, thanks all for jumping in!!

Best regards,
Bob

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
I had always understood the difference to be that a grandfather's clock was a longcase clock with the pendulum and weights taking up the entire case, while a grandmother's clock was a longcase clock with the movement up top and room for storage and shelves in the bottom part of the case. I have no idea if that's right or not... only how it was described to me years ago. It kind of made sense... a clock with places for Grandmother to keep a few necessaries, etc.

D.th.munroe

Feb 15, 2018
BC Canada
Country
Region
I must have remembered that wrong it was N.Hudson Moore who said that about Mrs Brownell of R.I
I dont know if this is readable.
Dan

Screenshot_20210119-135555_Chrome.jpg

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Got more thumbs on my foot than American dealers who refer to 'longcase' clocks.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Commercialized "Grandmother" Clocks

Term "grandmother" clock is much more recent and commercially available after WWII. Trend Clock in Zeeland, MI introduced a 50" tall "Grandmother" clock in 1949, but it did not sell well, so they increased its height to 60" (5 ft.) tall and it sold very well.

Daneker Clock Co. in Fallston, MD introduced small grandfather clocks about 78" tall in early 1950s and also sold some ones about 60" that would be considered "grandmother" clocks.

Andy Dervan

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
I had always understood the difference to be that a grandfather's clock was a longcase clock with the pendulum and weights taking up the entire case, while a grandmother's clock was a longcase clock with the movement up top and room for storage and shelves in the bottom part of the case. I have no idea if that's right or not... only how it was described to me years ago. It kind of made sense... a clock with places for Grandmother to keep a few necessaries, etc.
I never heard that, but it's a great explanation/version...I like it!

Bob

Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
Country
Commercialized "Grandmother" Clocks

Term "grandmother" clock is much more recent and commercially available after WWII. Trend Clock in Zeeland, MI introduced a 50" tall "Grandmother" clock in 1949, but it did not sell well, so they increased its height to 60" (5 ft.) tall and it sold very well.

Daneker Clock Co. in Fallston, MD introduced small grandfather clocks about 78" tall in early 1950s and also sold some ones about 60" that would be considered "grandmother" clocks.

Andy Dervan
Andy, That's the most widely used explanation that I've heard is that they were 6 ft or under....

Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robert Teichman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Aurora's 15 Ruby Jewel Movements by Greg Frauenhoff

514 Poplar Street
Columbia, PA 17512

Phone: 717-684-8261

Contact the Webmaster for perceived copyright infringement (DMCA Registration Number 1010287).

Copyright © National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors Inc (A 501c3 non-profit corporation). All Rights Reserved.

The NAWCC is dedicated to providing association services, promoting interest in and encouraging the collecting of clocks and watches including disseminating knowledge of the same.