Did Tran Miss This Clock?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by JST, Oct 11, 2018 at 8:06 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JST

JST Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Much to my dismay, I cannot find this circa 1883 Ansonia “ALHAMBRA” mantel clock in any of Tran Duy Ly’s books. It has an ebonized wooden case with hand-painted rubber panels. The clock stands 18" high, 17" wide and 5" deep. I scoured Tran’s “Ansonia Clocks & Watches, 1998 and all three of his “American Clocks” volumes, to no avail. The “Alhambra” pictured on page 285 of Ansonia Clocks isn’t even close. It’s an enameled iron case clock.

Didn’t Tran Duy Ly cover this particular clock? Or am I just missing it. I’d appreciate your help.

Thanks,

JST

P1040190.JPG P7170026.JPG P7170022.JPG

2. Time After Time

Time After Time Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Feb 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired DDS. Likes Clock Teeth.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Time After Time, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:21 PM
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 9:32 PM
    I don't know about Tran. I have his Ansonia Book but will take your word for it since you scoured it to no avail.

This website does have three examples listed. Here's one: Antique Ansonia Clocks. The 2nd example is also like your clock but the 3rd example is made of white marble and is quite different. Evidently Ansonia offered several case designs under this name. o_O

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    #3 Steven Thornberry, Oct 12, 2018 at 4:42 AM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 4:48 AM
    They seem to have been identified from the 1989 ed. of Tran's Ansonia book. Certainly that ed. is mentioned in regard to the first clock that appears. Perhaps someone has a copy of that edition.

4. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There are lots of clocks that aren't identified in Tran, either he didn't have the catalog with that model or it was never in a catalog, the one you have no doubt has rubber panels, the brown colored ones, and possibly the dial, rubber dials are not at all common.

5. JST

JST Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks everybody for your replies. Special thanks for the URL. I too noticed in that description they refer to "Ly illustrates this model in his 1989 Ansonia book, page 182, item 870." I have the 1998 edition. Perhaps Ly just didn't have room for it in the 1998 edition. I'm off to the library to see if they have the older version. If anybody happens to have the 1989 edition of Ly's Ansonia book, I'd appreciate it if you would please post a picture of page 182, assuming it shows the Alhambra clock. I appreciate everybody's help.

JST

6. JTD

JTD Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Just so you don't waste time looking for a book by someone called Ly, please note that the reference you quote has the name wrong. The full name is TRAN Duy Ly. In Vietnamese the family name comes first, so the library index should have the book filed under Tran not Ly.

JTD

7. JST

JST Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 29, 2003
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No luck at my local library. Nothing under "Tran", or "Duy", or "Ly". They just don't carry his books. Oh well, hopefully somebody on the message board has it and can post that one page.

Thanks again for all of your help.

JST