• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Did tall case clocks of the 18th and 19th centuries typically have 30 hour, 31 day or 400 day movements?

Tcbisme

New User
Dec 1, 2021
Country
I’m looking for a tall case clock for my daughter but those I see in various internet searches never specify this. I’d like 400 day but at least 31. Class…Bueller…anyone….

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
I’m looking for a tall case clock for my daughter but those I see in various internet searches never specify this. I’d like 400 day but at least 31. Class…Bueller…anyone….
Welcome to the forum…

If you are looking for an 18th or 19th century longcase clock, so 1700 through to 1899, then there were many changes during that time. At the one end of the spectrum, at 1700, pendulum clocks had only recently been perfected, and so these clocks are more expensive, and they were almost exclusively made in England or Holland at that time.

At the other end, by 1899 most English and Dutch makers had moved on to other clock styles, so tall clocks were being made in Germany and elsewhere. The fancier clocks still made in England played Westminster chimes on tubes.

Duration depends on where and when the clock was made. Most English clocks in the mid 1700s onwards were made in the country, and so were 30 hour, although London makers almost always made 8 day clocks. Month duration clocks were in fashion early in your time period, but year duration were always very rare. Month and year duration will always be much more expensive.

tell us more about what you want and maybe we can make recommendations- now is a good time to buy a longcase clock, as they are out of fashion.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
... and whether you want to wind it every day! We like ours (ca 1710) and do just that.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
In the UK the typical longcase clock was always either 30 hour or 8 day. Examples that run for a month are quite uncommon, those that run for a year are rare.

Reactions: Jim DuBois

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3号缐
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller