Did Rolex ever make a jump hour / mech. digital watch - more

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Dave Haynes, Aug 16, 2001.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dave Haynes

Dave Haynes Registered User

Sep 12, 2000
    Alan: One of my books shows a jump hour Rolex Prince Ca.1930 it's a Duo-Dial Baguette
    with jump hours, hand for minutes and a second dial below for seconds.

2. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

The jump-hour "Prince" Dave mentioned is quite a "peach," but I don?t think anyone has ever attempted to fake those on a commercial basis. As far as I know, Rolex never made an LED or LCD watch on a commercial basis, though it's possible (or maybe even probable) that they did experiment with such things when they were popular.

On a somewhat related topic, I frequently hear people say "You can tell the difference between a real Rolex and a fake by the way the seconds hand moves. On fakes, they jump every second, while real ones move smoothly." This is about like the old myth about "over winding" a watch, or watchmakers "stealing" the jewels out of watches while working on them.

The truth is that not all fake Rolex watches have hands that jump in full second increments, and not all real Rolex watches have seconds hands that sweep smoothly. In the late 1970s and early 1980s, Rolex made Oyster watches with very high quality quartz movements. These were marked "Rolex - Oyster Quartz," instead of "Rolex - Oyster Perpetual," as Rolex automatics are. Of course, fake Rolex watches are commonly available today with automatic movements, and some of these are very convincing, even to the experienced eye.

In addition to real Rolex quartz watches, however, there is another possibility for real Rolex watches with seconds hands that jump full seconds. In the late 1950s and early 1960s, Rolex produced a model called the "Tru-Beat" (in the US, these were marketed under the name "Metropolitan"), which has an automatic mechanical movement with a "jumping seconds" mechanism. The seconds hands on these jump from second to second, exactly like the ones in modern analog quartz watches do, and they are relatively rare.

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    VP, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

3. Mike Kearney

Mike Kearney Guest

Steve, I'm wondering if the old adage about 'you can tell a Rolex by the way the second hand moves' originated in the old days when most wristwatch movements beat at 18000 bph. The Rolex sweep second hand is clearly smoother than an 18000 bph movement, so I'm going to guess it beat at 21600 bph, right?

Regards,
    Mike

4. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

Mike,

Different Rolex models beat at different rates, but the rates have steadily increased over the years. Bubbleback era stuff all beats at 18,000 bph; the first to beat faster than that were the 15 series men's movements, most of which beat at 19,800. Today, some models beat as fast as 34,560.

I really don't think this is exactly what people mean though about determining a real Rolex from a fake. Generally speaking, I think most people don't even notice the tiny jumps made by the seconds hands on mechanical movements, and are really only comparing the "relative" smooth operation of mechanicals to the full second advances made by seconds hands on analog quartz watches.

SM

5. Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
    Steve/Mike:
    When I look for a fake Rolex I always look for things like fit, finish, weight (most
    fakes are too heavy and too thick), chrome plated cases,cheap looking crowns, poor quality bands. The fakes usually have poorly finished hands and dials.
    Real Rolex watches are finished pretty well
    and the whole watch will be well done.

That being said, there are fake Presidents out of Israel that are flawless. So.....

6. Dave Haynes

Sep 12, 2000
    Almost all of the "springing seconds" mechanical watches (seconds click like a quartz) used a movement made by Ebauches Chezard.

7. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

I personally don't know anything about any jumping seconds movements except the Rolex models. Those were produced in two slight variations, namely the calibres 1040 and 1040-B. Each are modified versions of the famous Rolex 1030 series, which was produced from the early 1950s through the early 1960s. As with almost all Rolex movements, these were actually made "in house" by Rolex.

I do know that for a brief time, the Doxa Watch Co. offered a model with jumping seconds, but I don't know if they actually made their own movement, or if they used a "generic."

SM