DICKORY DOCK CLOCK help

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by John P, Aug 10, 2018 at 8:43 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have this clock in for repairs and don't have a clue how to set it up. Cleaned the movement and rebushed
    as needed, cleaned and lubed the spring so now its up and running good.
    It is a HOROLOVAR CO. clock with platform escapement.

How the heck do you set up the thing to pull up the mouse and release it at 1.00?

P8090096.JPG P8090093.JPG P8090094.JPG

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There's a gear that raises the mouse via a string and pulley arrangement. One of the gears is missing some teeth, so when the mouse rises to the 1:00 position it falls again, and rings a bell at the bottom of the case. I don't see any of the necessary items in your pic, but there were several of those repro's made and each one can be different. The length of the string is critical.

IMG_4429.JPG IMG_4431.JPG IMG_4432.JPG IMG_4433.JPG IMG_4434.JPG

3. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    SB, I have all the parts, saw the missing teeth and wheel that it drives with its indention so how is that set up?

johnp

4. bangster

bangster Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Never seen one. Is the falling mouse supposed to wind the clock?

5. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    The large wheel with missing teeth drives a gear and shaft located underneath the bracket/bridge at the upper left of the front of the movement. The cord for the mouse is wound up toward the 12:00 position by the action of the large wheel turning the gear; when the missing teeth get to the gear underneath the bridge, the gear is free to rotate and the weight of the mouse causes it to fall and strike the bell. Then the wheel with missing teeth turns and contacts the gear again and starts winding the cord and raising the mouse. The movement is spring driven and the clock I owned ran for a week.

6. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The small driven gear has a cut out place in it and a spring laying up against it, my question is how do I time that wheel to the larger driving wheel with the missing teeth? Or does it matter where those 2 are positioned or timed?

7. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, the clock is powered by a spring in a barrel. The falling mouse only provides the energy to ring the bell more or less at 1 o'clock.

Because the clock has no hands, as I recall the timing is not critical. The mouse falls at that point which is 1 o'clock so the mouse is at the bottom and starts going back up the clock. The length of the string is, as already mentioned, critical. Any slack will cause a delay in the mouse starting up the face of the clock resulting in the next drop happening before "1" at the top. Likewise, if you replace the string with a larger or smaller diameter cord the mouse will travel up the face faster or slower. It is a real "Mickey Mouse" contraption and somewhat of a pain to get right. Basically a novelty clock styled after the Dungan & Klump # 4 mouse clock but smaller and entirely different inside.

RC

8. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    For those interested in the real ones, see this NAWCC Bulletin Supplement entitled "Elmer Ellsworth Dugan and the Hickory Dickory Dock Clock":

https://nawcc.org/index.php/watch-a-clock-bulletin/past-issues-/556?task=view

At the very end they do cover some of the repros including those by Horolovar. That company also marketed the ubiquitous late 20th century repro's of the Jerome "Ignatz" and Brigg's rotary pendulum clocks, both of which I believe were actually made in Germany.

RM

9. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That is a great article and perhaps the most complete documentation of Elmer Duncan. The story of how he came to make the first mouse clock for his daughter Emily, and the trials and tribulations he had with New Haven Clock Co.to make the first models and the evolution, or perhaps de-evolution that led to the models 4 and 5 is worth reading the article. The house in Ft. Washington PA where he lived is now Zake's Café 444 S. Bethlehem Pike Ft. Washington PA 215.654.7600 zakescafe@verizon.net and one looks close at the pictures one can see what appears to the large clock that Duncan made in the gable end of the house. Emily passed away not many years ago. I have a working model #2 in my collection.

RC

10. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Please post your HHDC in the General Discussions forum! I have a feeling the only ones that folks have ever seen are the repros.

PS: the food looks great!

RM.

11. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As long as the missing tooth area is encountered at the 1:00 position, all will be good.

12. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member Donor

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #12 John P, Aug 13, 2018 at 6:10 AM
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    Ok , mouse is doing just fine. I set the mouse down at the bottom position, lined up the missing teeth, tightened up the string and away the mouse went.
    The small gear with the notch cut out
    View attachment 489069

is only there to give you the feeling of a digit or detent when winding up the string.

Thanks for all the tips, Shutterbug nailed it.

johnp

13. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    My #2 mouse clock has been discussed before but just now I can't seem to find the link to that thread. If anyone would like to see it I have pictures and a brief discussion posted at Dungan and Klump Dickory Dickory Doc Mouse Clock A few months ago someone also posted here an original #1 mouse clock here.

RC

14. shutterbug

NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm glad you got it sorted out! They are fun clocks, and great conversation pieces :D