Dial painting

Discussion in 'Reverse Glass and Dial Painting' started by sparkey0151, Nov 19, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sparkey0151

sparkey0151 Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 9, 2016
    horologist
    liverpool uk
    Country Flag:
    Im going to have a go at simple black and white dial restoration and am just wondering about books i could buy to learn the pros and cons etc, could anyone recommend any,

regards john :confused:

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I forgot to ask about books, but he said he uses a variety of enamels but finds Humbrol very good, that would be easy for you to obtain.

3. sparkey0151

Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 9, 2016
    horologist
    liverpool uk
    Country Flag:
    Thanks very much, i appreciate your help.

kind regards john

4. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

No problem, however he had a dial with him he had restored and it was amazing. I prefer earlier clocks but I have to say his work is beautiful, and you could not see where he had done anything so there is huge skill in this.

5. sparkey0151

Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 9, 2016
    horologist
    liverpool uk
    Country Flag:
    Im going to give it a real go, im reading everything i can find, i can only find 1 book, it will open an whole new world in my antique clock repairs and collecting, plus i think you could make some money although this is not a big motivation at the moment, from my research its very expensive to get clock dials renovated, and the amount of clocks i see needing this type of work its motivation enough as i think it costs about £100 to do a simple black and white dial,

regards john

6. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think this chap charges under £150 for a complete restoration. I used to get charged around £120 for a brass dial for full clean and resilver. Now I do that myself.

7. sparkey0151

Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 9, 2016
    horologist
    liverpool uk
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for all your help, i rely appreciate it, if you get any book sugestions could you let me know

regards john

8. the 3rd dwarve

the 3rd dwarve Registered User

Nov 3, 2000
    John,

You should research fluid writer pens. They are used by writers but can be used anywhere fine lines are needed. They come in a variety of sizes and are affordable. You can adapt an old machinist compass like a Starrett No. 92 to fit them.

You might also find books like "Rendering in Pen and Ink" by A.L. Guptill helpful.

Good luck,

D~

9. sparkey0151

Donor NAWCC Member

Aug 9, 2016
    horologist
    liverpool uk
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for that.

Regards john

10. prideofmatchingham

prideofmatchingham Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    Civil Servant
    Kolkata, India
    Country Flag:
    Any help on where to get one silvered dial and one painted dial restored? Any help would be appreciated. As this is for self, not for any sale, I would prefer someone who is not very costly! Pl PM me, if you can.
    Thanks

11. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    This is an art that finds few devotees.
    From what I can tell of the curent situation in Australia is that there is one person who receives all the dials in Australia and from everywhere overseas, to be repainted. The work is as you would expect excellent but you have to wait and wait and continue waiting until your dial reaches the stage of actually being painted. All this isn't cheap but definitely not as expensive as the wait may seem.

12. novicetimekeeper

Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    resilvering is a very simple process that you can easily do yourself, repainting is a skill.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Strangely, most of my work comes from self taught, learning to extrapolate from terse tips from mentors otherwise busy. I've long used felt tips. Probably as long as they have been around.

I'm enjoying being in these forums reading what everyone else here has learned. For me it is a sudden corncopia of peers. Having lived in the backwoods for so long.

14. roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Yair to be fair, my reading skills sometimes let me down.